• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington 11-87 Magazine Tube Coating Question

n4rod

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
31   0
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Remington 11-87 Sporting Clays NP 12 gauge shotgun. When I disassembled it for cleaning I first discovered a darker coating of some kind is flaking off the mag tube. I removed the piston, seal, and O-ring and polished the mag tube slightly with 2,000 grit Emory cloth. I noticed some more of the darker coating was flaking off. I'm guessing this coating was burned from the hot gasses exhausting around that area. I'm just wondering what kind of coating that is and if there will be any problems shooting the gun in this condition. I have 2 Remington 1100 shotguns and there isn't any kind of coating on those mag tubes. Just bright metal.

Rod

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

One of the primary differences between the 1100 and the 11-87 is the latter's stainless steel mag tube. That was done to increase corrosion resistance over the 1100. Yours is the first I've seen with a teflon/NP3 coating on the tube, but it's been a while since I was in an 11-87. I don't think it will be an issue, other than you knowing about it.

Back
Top Bottom