• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading Questions

PewPewChris

Default rank <2000 posts
SpaceWrangler
2   0
Reaction score
A few newb questions as I start down the path of reloading:

Do y’all chase a tenth or a hundredth when it comes to overall length?

5DC70446-9D1A-41CD-940C-87876164D604.jpeg

Reload on right - Factory load on left…
9C1A7896-6CA0-4745-8E1C-FEFEDEAFF385.jpeg

Hornady Reloading Bible shows overall length of 1.169…as you can see my first put together round at 1.152…

Seems to me one hundredth isn’t an issue, thing plunked right in and out of my case gauge no issues, seating in gauge seemed fine.

Also, everything I read talks about getting the “feel” for the proper crimp. Mine seemed ok, similar feel to the plinking round I was comparing it too.

Any insight is welcome

First. Forget what factory ammo is. The ogive of that bullet may not be the same as the ones you’re planning to load.

Your gun may take it at 1.15” OR… it might require it to be 1.12” to “plunk” in your particular barrel.

Fitting a case gauge isn’t the same as it actually fitting your barrel.

First. Forget what factory ammo is. The ogive of that bullet may not be the same as the ones you’re planning to load.

Your gun may take it at 1.15” OR… it might require it to be 1.12” to “plunk” in your particular barrel.

Fitting a case gauge isn’t the same as it actually fitting your barrel.

So do you do a plunk test with your specific gun or how do you know…how it feeds once you actually test a few rounds?

You’re
So do you do a plunk test with your specific gun or how do you know…how it feeds once you actually test a few rounds?
No. You take a loaded round, drop it in the chamber… spin it around (it should spin freely) and drop it out.

If it doesn’t spin freely or drop straight out of the barrel without assistance… you’re loaded too long. The bullet is touching the rifling of the barrel. This is something a case gauge doesn’t check.

You’d need to shorten your OAL in that case.

If it spins freely and drops out… you’re good to go for OAL.

You’re

No. You take a loaded round, drop it in the chamber… spin it around (it should spin freely) and drop it out.

If it doesn’t spin freely or drop straight out of the barrel without assistance… you’re loaded too long. The bullet is touching the rifling of the barrel. This is something a case gauge doesn’t check.

You’d need to shorten your OAL in that case.

If it spins freely and drops out… you’re good to go for OAL.

I’ll have to try that tomorrow, thanks for the tip.

are you not checking rounds with a case gauge at all during the reloading process?

Back
Top Bottom