• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading M1 Garand and Enfield 1917

Ehemann

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
2   0
Reaction score
I would like to use the same powder and bullet for my M1 Garand and my Remington 1917 Enfield. I'm using 150 grain boattail bullets, with IMR 4895 powder. 48 grains of powder seems to be the norm for making an M2 ball for the Garand. Any experience with the 1917 and the same bullet? I've read that the M1, used in the 1903 and 1917 was a hotter bullet than the M2. For safety sake, I want to use the same bullet for both so that they do not get mixed up and damage my Garand.

I'd have to look; but I went with the published guidelines in my Hornady reloading book for M1 garand. I also use 175gr BTHP due to having an abundance.

I check my loads against published velocities and my chronograph.

I'd have to look; but I went with the published guidelines in my Hornady reloading book for M1 garand. I also use 175gr BTHP due to having an abundance.

I check my loads against published velocities and my chronograph.
Interesting. From my research on the Garand, I'm told to load no bullet higher than a 150 grain and 48 grains of IMR4895. Otherwise, with a heavier bullet or faster powder I would probably damage the operating rod. That's why I want to use one load for both rifles.

Interesting. From my research on the Garand, I'm told to load no bullet higher than a 150 grain and 48 grains of IMR4895. Otherwise, with a heavier bullet or faster powder I would probably damage the operating rod. That's why I want to use one load for both rifles.

The AP round was 162ish gr and shoots better than the ball round

Back
Top Bottom