• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading in SHTF

Holy necrothread lol

I'll have to go back and look through and re-read everything. The current situation certainly presents new challenges to the topic. Thanks for reminding me about this thread.

I suggest calling the author in for his take first since he's still here.
dunkel dunkel , what say you??

Not sure if this is better suited here or in survival section. Guess we will see.

Thinking about reloading in a SHTF scenario. Just looking for some different perspectives on stuff I may not have considered.

Basically, while I have a Lee Loader for my BOB, I'm wondering how useful it's really going to be. I have plenty of components...boolits, powered, primers, brass...but is it worth it to bring a loader and components vs just bringing more loaded ammo? I have a mould, also, but is it worth it to bring lead ingots vs loaded ammo?

There is always scrounging, of course, but how likely are you to score powder or primers? Lead is always a possibility, if you know where to look. Brass is recoverable, of course, which is one reason I have a revolver in my BOB.

What are the considerations for dismantling scrounged ammo of the wrong caliber? Pulled lead bullets can be melted and remoulded. Even FMJ semi-jacketed bullets can be smashed and tue lead inside recovered. Recovered brass would be just waste unless you're able to trade with someone or something. Recovered powders, I think, would be problematic...you just won't know what you're getting. What is there to worry about with reusing that powder? I know different calibers take different powders neat suited to case length, shape, etc. But in a pinch, would it be feasible to reload it way on the safe side?

Anything else I might have missed?
If you have powder now and are a long term reloader my suggestion is to take a small quantity outdoors and light it. Make a note of type powder, it's appearance and how fast it burned in your estimation. As you run across unknown powders in the future you may have some idea of what they compare to. Generally if you dismantle a rifle cartridge and are putting it back into a rifle it's probably ok, just allow for any size difference. Same for most pistol too. But follow the rules of lesser amounts first and know that you're taking a risk.

If you have powder now and are a long term reloader my suggestion is to take a small quantity outdoors and light it. Make a note of type powder, it's appearance and how fast it burned in your estimation. As you run across unknown powders in the future you may have some idea of what they compare to. Generally if you dismantle a rifle cartridge and are putting it back into a rifle it's probably ok, just allow for any size difference. Same for most pistol too. But follow the rules of lesser amounts first and know that you're taking a risk.
Good information

That's a pretty interesting idea. I like it a lot.

I think the answer, generally speaking, is that if it comes to having to scrounge components, it's already pretty bad times and all bets are off.

I've been looking into stuff like black powder, making it at home, making percussion caps, etc etc...I think if we're at that point, stuff is pretty bad and let's just hope we don't get there. Do we all just go back to flintlocks at that point?

I do like some of the ideas here, but I'm less enthusiastic about the idea than I was, apparently, in 2011 when I first started the thread.

Back
Top Bottom