• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading in SHTF

dunkel

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
75   0
Reaction score
Not sure if this is better suited here or in survival section. Guess we will see.

Thinking about reloading in a SHTF scenario. Just looking for some different perspectives on stuff I may not have considered.

Basically, while I have a Lee Loader for my BOB, I'm wondering how useful it's really going to be. I have plenty of components...boolits, powered, primers, brass...but is it worth it to bring a loader and components vs just bringing more loaded ammo? I have a mould, also, but is it worth it to bring lead ingots vs loaded ammo?

There is always scrounging, of course, but how likely are you to score powder or primers? Lead is always a possibility, if you know where to look. Brass is recoverable, of course, which is one reason I have a revolver in my BOB.

What are the considerations for dismantling scrounged ammo of the wrong caliber? Pulled lead bullets can be melted and remoulded. Even FMJ semi-jacketed bullets can be smashed and tue lead inside recovered. Recovered brass would be just waste unless you're able to trade with someone or something. Recovered powders, I think, would be problematic...you just won't know what you're getting. What is there to worry about with reusing that powder? I know different calibers take different powders neat suited to case length, shape, etc. But in a pinch, would it be feasible to reload it way on the safe side?

Anything else I might have missed?

make it now , be prepared!! lol i dont see it as being useful your time can be better spent scrounging for food and other necessities! powder and primers might be hard to find, lead on the other hand can be found if you get it first, a couple of ammo cans full of what you already loaded may be the best. remember you can't be trying to reload some shots while the zombies are beating on the door!!:D

make it now , be prepared!! lol i dont see it as being useful your time can be better spent scrounging for food and other necessities! powder and primers might be hard to find, lead on the other hand can be found if you get it first, a couple of ammo cans full of what you already loaded may be the best. remember you can't be trying to reload some shots while the zombies are beating on the door!!:D

this

It's going to depend on the length and nature of the disturbance, isn't it? I have plenty of ammo to last a weekend or 6 months, I reckon. The longer it goes, however, the more that supply is going to dwindle.

There is also always the possibility of not having access to my full stash, for whatever reason. Could be one of any number of scenarios where one ends up bugged out but only brought a limited supply of ammo. So I have my .357 carbine and revolver...and 50 rounds. What then? What are the prospects for using scrounged materials or ammo to reload?

I realize what "ideal" is...I'm brainstorming for ideas on what to do in a less than ideal situation.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of reloading in the field, however, I would certainly prefer to have as many pre-loaded rounds on hand as possible. I would also abandon the possibility of using the Lee Classic Loader (the one you need a hammer to use) - too loud, too labor intensive, and too slow. Grab a Lee hand press. I got one for $20.00 when I moved into my smaller home to save space. Couldn't be happier.

Get plenty of .22lr. thousands of shots for the space and weight of a few hundred centerfire rounds. I don't see the need or practicality of thousands of centerfire rounds.

Get plenty of .22lr. thousands of shots for the space and weight of a few hundred centerfire rounds. I don't see the need or practicality of thousands of centerfire rounds.

A random hit with a 22 may only be like a bee sting, however, a random hit with a 357 or a 308 is going to take some flesh, and maybe bone along for the ride.

Not to say 22 is a bad thing, but it does require a much more precise hit to get the same effect.

Inkdaddy, shoot me a pm about the hand press.

I maybe didn't make me it real clear from the OP. I understand that different situations will require different preparations. What I'm trying to get at is, regardless of what scenario you have to think up to make it necessary, what are the considerations for scrounging reloading supplies? We talked about primers, etc, and I think that's a good point. Definitely need to stock up on primers. They would be relatively easy to carry around if necessary. Brass and bullets have been discussed. So im mainly thinking about powder...not easy to just carry around in any quantity. What are the considerations for recovering powder in an emergency?

Back
Top Bottom