Reloading Data ~ HP or TMJ ~ Question

PewPewChris

Default rank <2000 posts
SpaceWrangler
2   0
Reaction score
A9A1B1B5-AB77-4870-ACBA-6A07E632FC09.jpeg

FD9D343A-8D61-45B4-9B79-90A1B2997C05.jpeg

Reading thru the “Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Handbook” and I’m curious. The data is limited to certain sized/shaped bullets. Can you use the min/max for the 124gr jacketed Hp style bullets with the 124gr TMJ’s I have?

What is your “go to” when it comes to load data by caliber/manufacturer/etc?

It is not the finished bullet length that needs to be considered. It is the bullet’s seating depth—how much room is left in the case from the base of the bullet downward.

HP’s will be loaded shorter. SWC’s need the shoulder almost flush with the case mouth. The Bullets nose has to fit in the barrel’s throat. But, in the end with a given bullet weight, the amount of room remaining below the bullet’s base is the biggest factor - aside from powder amount used - to consider when trying to stay within the max pressure for a given pistol caliber.

In the OP’s case:I would start in the mid range for powder mass and would just put a similarly shaped factory complete round in the sizing die with the sizing die stem adjusted all the way up. Then twist the stem down until it contacts the bullet and lock it in place. Then load a couple and see if they chamber in your gun. They should be the same length as the factory round. If they do not chamber, lower the stem incrementally until they chamber. Then look at em, measure em, evaluate em for reasonableness, put on your eye protection, and fire.

Evaluate the condition of your fired brass and primers, and adjust the powder load as needed.

Back
Top Bottom