• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading components

FYI:

For those wondering what the heck 9 major is: 9mm loaded well above the industry standard limits of pressure in order to achieve the same power as a larger caliber, in order to allow them to receive the same scores as a 40, or larger caliber gun in competitive events that penalize lower power calibers for having an unfair advantage. The power of a 9major runs close to a 357mag, 40, or 357 Sig.

The brass in normally only loaded once and then thrown away, and the load requires a tight fully supported chamber to be safe.

For reference, 9major still is no more powerful than 40. That is not to say you should shoot stuff found on the floor, but the danger is not a nine major load’s power and recoil, the danger is brass failure/case rupture while firing amateur reloaded brass at 9 major pressures in an unsupported barrel. The case may rupture and damage the grips of a 1911, crack a plastic frame, or blow the mag bottom off—all of this can also happen with any caliber if not not properly loaded.

I started to move this rant to a separate thread over in the reloading section of this forum, but then I realized that this post IS in the Reloading section, so I left it here.

Once, Only once, I grabbed the wrong of 9mm. What I grabbed were loads for the MP40 Machine gun. I shot one round in my steel frame Witness. Boy what a surprise. Thankfully once inspected and reassembled nothing was damaged.

I’ve picked up several pieces on brass on my range that had the Glock bulge. I’ve had a few get past me. What happens is they won’t go into battery (thankfully) and they are a PITA to get out. Most times they are wedged in so tightly that I can’t rack the slide and eject them. The back plate has to come out. That bulge won’t get sized down in the sizing stage.
Use the lee buldge buster .

Back
Top Bottom