• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading all brass 410 bore shotshells

87KJH

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
47   0
Reaction score
Looking to load a few all brass .410 bore shotshells.
I have the 2 1/2" Magtech hulls, Large pistol primers, fiber cushions, nitro cards and the overshot cards and a hot glue gun to seal the overshot card.

1633961393828.png

On-line load data seems to be limited.
Anyone with experience with these specific hulls willing to share your experience and load data?
I have H110, 296, lil gun, 300 MP powders.

Thanks

Have loaded many thousands of paper and plastic but a solid brass hull is a new adventure for me.
Looking at several u tube videos the concensus seems to be Elmers glue or hot glue to hold the overshot card in place without crimping.
Any source for load data or do you use the load data for plastic hulls?

Thanks,

I use a roll crimp on my drill press when I use a overshot card. How are you crimping them?
He isn't, he is using the OS card and a hot glue gun. Pretty sure that is the only way to do it with a brass hull.

I bet you will have more luck on Shotgunworld.com, or possibly Graybeard outdoors with that question.

Edit:

I think you can use wax and or possible elmers glue to seal up the OS.

Currently use the following:
-2400 Powder
-(1) .125 in. .455 nitro over-powder card
-(1.5) .500 in. .455 dia. filler wad w/. 125 compression
-(1) .025 in. .450 dia. overshot card
-(0.5) oz. #9 Lead Shot:
-Seal with Duco cement. All others leave a residue that builds up.

Currently use the following:
-2400 Powder
-(1) .125 in. .455 nitro over-powder card
-(1.5) .500 in. .455 dia. filler wad w/. 125 compression
-(1) .025 in. .450 dia. overshot card
-(0.5) oz. #9 Lead Shot:
-Seal with Duco cement. All others leave a residue that builds up.
Excellent information !
I plan to start with 13 grains of Alliant 2400 powder.
I will check with the hardware store on Saturday for the Duco cement.
Waterproof and chemical resistant to some oils and solvents :-)

Thank you,

Working with Alliant 2400 powder:
Loaded 5 rounds with 13 grains, 5 rounds with 13.5 grains, and 5 rounds with 14 grains.
The load listed above fits these hulls perfectly.
I found some Duco cement as recommended and it is easier and less messy to deal with than a hot glue gun to seal the overshot card in place ;-)

I borrowed some of my daughters fingernail polish to seal the primers, but I got some strange looks from the family so I gave it back to her. I will order some of the primer sealer with the next order from Ballistic P.

I hope to get to the range soon to test them on some clay targets.

Thanks again for your help,

Working with Alliant 2400 powder:
Loaded 5 rounds with 13 grains, 5 rounds with 13.5 grains, and 5 rounds with 14 grains.
The load listed above fits these hulls perfectly.
I found some Duco cement as recommended and it is easier and less messy to deal with than a hot glue gun to seal the overshot card in place ;-)

I borrowed some of my daughters fingernail polish to seal the primers, but I got some strange looks from the family so I gave it back to her. I will order some of the primer sealer with the next order from Ballistic P.

I hope to get to the range soon to test them on some clay targets.

Thanks again for your help,

We jig makers swear by Sally Hansens "Hard as Nails" and I've used it as a primer sealer. Yes, you get a few strange looks at WM., but a bottle lasts a long time, and I'm comfortable knowing I'm not the strangest thing at WM.

Back
Top Bottom