• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading accident

Just1more

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Retired
220   0
Reaction score
First I’ll start by saying I know absolutely nothing about reloading, but a friend of mine spent several hours in the emergency room the other day after a primer went off while he was trying to remove it? I believe that’s what he said happened. Anyway he ended up with a hand full of stitches (47) and a pretty nasty looking hand.

For those of you who do your own reloads…be careful.

I dont think 1 primer is blowing any hands up. That being said, alot of primer feed systems stack primers and if that stack goes off, especially if your hands are on it, that could probably blow your hand apart. Hope your buddy has a speedy recovery, 47 stitches is no joke.
That may be it. Like I said I know nothing about the process but he’s learned a valuable lesson what ever it was.

Hard to imagine how he could have been hurt that badly from a primer going off. I’ve popped a few primers during reloading and all it did was make a noise and no harm done. Would be good to know what he did - might help another new (or experienced) reloader from making the same mistake. We never stop learning!

First I’ll start by saying I know absolutely nothing about reloading, but a friend of mine spent several hours in the emergency room the other day after a primer went off while he was trying to remove it? I believe that’s what he said happened. Anyway he ended up with a hand full of stitches (47) and a pretty nasty looking hand.

For those of you who do your own reloads…be careful.
Good lord! 47 stitches from just a little bitty primer. That's amazing and horrifying at the same time. God be with him!

Yeah there is something else to that. Not sure how but like has been mentioned, stacked primers could be the culprit. It could have hit the powder hopper somehow (??) someway ?
I have been loading for over 40 years and i have never had a primer pop in the press or similar accident (Knock on wood) .
It is like my dad told me once - you screw with something long enough and you are bound to see it happen. (Whatever IT is) .
At the time we were talking about ND/accidental discharge - he says “The odds are just stack against us, as many year and the sheer number of times you handle loaded guns, the probability is very high. One day you will shoot a hole in your wall, floor, ceiling, etc., by accident. Just hope you are pointing it in a safe direction when it happens and not someone ! “.
About a month later, I shot a hole in the dash of my truck :doh::doh::doh:.

Just1more Just1more - my prayers for your friend, hopefully he has a complete and speedy recovery.

Perhaps he just finished reloading a live round and did not like its looks, so he was attempting to disassemble it starting with the bullet using an inertia bullet puller hammer and struck the case on a hard surface and set the primer off discharging the bullet, getting powder burns and possibly bullet penetration into his hand ? Just thinking outside the box. Thanks.

This is why Dillon did away with the 650 and went to the 750. It eliminated the daisy chain effect IF one goes off. That being said, I like the priming system on the 650 better than the 750.

Back
Top Bottom