• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Reloading 9mm FMj 115 grain with hodgdon HP-38 ?

chopps

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
73   0
Reaction score
I normally use hodgdon universal but have considered HP-38 considering thats all I could find anyone else use it for 9mm ?
Thanks

Last edited:
HP38/W231 is fine for the 9. Like Universal it won't deliver the highest velocities in most rounds, but it works great.

It meters like water, offers a bit narrower range in velocity, and doesn't give the best load densities, but it was my go to powder till I found Universal a few years back.

In my book it's a go.

HP38/W231 is fine for the 9. Like Universal it won't deliver the highest velocities in most rounds, but it works great.

It meters like water, offers a bit narrower range in velocity, and doesn't give the best load densities, but it was my go to powder till I found Universal a few years back.

In my book it's a go.

Ok thanks and I love universal just can't find any right now and picked this up at GA Arms to get me by.
Like all else its backordered everywhere :(

I have also heard that HP38/W231 are the same powder is that true ?

Last edited:
Ok thanks and I love universal just can't find any right now and picked this up at GA Arms to get me by.
Like all else its backordered everywhere :(

I have also heard that HP38/W231 are the same powder is that true ?

What Chuckdog said, I think he made it clear it was the same powder. I used 231 for years and it's a decent powder. Here is a burn rate chart to compare powders. It's a faster powder and hence less powder is required. It's more economical but then easier to miss over charging the case.

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

Back
Top Bottom