Reload how hard is it

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmmill

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
50   0
Reaction score
Thanks for all the response it was a lot of help its great having a website like this with people like you thats willing to help out thanks jeff

Last edited:
Jeff one thing I can tell you, unless you will be shooting ALOT you are not going to save a bunch of money doing reloads. I reload because I enjoy doing it. I have found however when you make it a little cheaper, you will shoot more.

Videos may fine to use as an aide, but if you ain't in to readin' you need not even start loadin. I'm not an avid reader of novels or anything else, but I've got a pile of books and manuals that most have had the pages perused many times. I still get out some of the ones published in the early 70's and read them. Midway USA, Midsouth Shooters Supply, and Cabelas are a few of the places I buy from that have very good customer service. Midway also has a lot of "HOW TO" videos on their website.

Last edited:
"How hard is it?" Not hard at all. It requires some patience and attention to detail.

What caliber(s) do you shoot regularly that you would like to be reloading?

If you wanna come by my house I can show you pretty much what you need. I can also take you to a store close by that sells reloading stuff. I'm in western Barrow off County Line.

Last edited:
If you wanna come by my house I can show you pretty much what you need. I can also take you to a store close by that sells reloading stuff. I'm in western Barrow off County Line.

Now thats an offer! No matter how many videos you watch or how much reading (and it should be a lot) you do on reloading nothing works quite the same as getting your hands into it!

I have been reloading since the early 80's and here are a couple observations:

Reloading isn't "hard" but it is very detail oriented. The most important thing (IMHO) is to commit yourself to following the details of each and every loading operation you are doing. It is very easy to make a very costly mistake.

Take your time, double check yourself and then check yourself again. If you commit yourself to this, you will greatly reduce your headaches and flatten out your learning curve. Also, FOLLOW THE DATA! If the data calls out a max load, don't exceed it! The people who developed the loads in the manuals have very sophisticated testing devices at their disposal to insure that the loads are safe in the widest possible range of firearms available. Exceed these loads at your peril.

As Chuckdog above mentioned, their is no substitute for good manuals. Lyman has always had a really great one and it is one of my favs, but I have many others that are great as well. Buy the manuals first, study them, and then buy your gear. Start small and simple and work up from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom