• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommendations for Very High-End 1911s

This is a good place to begin a relationship with the venerable and iconic 1911.

For a custom builder spend some time in this thread...

For a “usable looker” the 1911 is a great platform. You can put thousands of rounds down the pipe, replace a spring or two, maybe slap a new black Teflon finish on it...and it will bring good money. Because they are so damn indestructible if you take care of it,
Good entry level to higher end is Dan Wesson Valor or Les Baer.
Stacatto and STI’s are great guns...but 2011, not 1911.
Yeah - the 2011 made the 1911 platform actually competitive in the market. Not just a "1911 fer life, coupled with mah M1 Garand."

True. Double stack nine’s with sweet 1911 triggers are nice.
But I still find myself carrying an Ed Brown Kobra in .45 lol.
Ehh, you can get plenty of 2011's in 45acp. Or 10, or 38 super, 40 etc.

The 1911 is beautiful and iconic, bit it holds you back with not much of a practical use. I equate them to the m1a.

I've got an STI which is the forerunner of Staccato. STI/Staccato are geared more for competition. I also have a match Wilson barrel/bushing set in another of my 1911s. Both are shooters and great guns but all of the makers named above have great products. Lusting after a Wesson or Ed Brown bob tail commander myself.

Ehh, you can get plenty of 2011's in 45acp. Or 10, or 38 super, 40 etc.

The 1911 is beautiful and iconic, bit it holds you back with not much of a practical use. I equate them to the m1a.
m1a and 1911, in the hands of someone who knows how to use them, are a pretty “practical” combo Imho.
I wonder how many graves shook when you made the comment about a 1911 and M1a being
“not much of a practical use” lol.
I get it that 2011 and an AR are modern deadly combos...with higher mag capacities.
But in a real, ”practical” gunfight situation today involving self-defense...I would avoid the guy with a 1911 and M1A.
He probably knows how to use them.
Just sayin...

I've got an STI which is the forerunner of Staccato. STI/Staccato are geared more for competition. I also have a match Wilson barrel/bushing set in another of my 1911s. Both are shooters and great guns but all of the makers named above have great products. Lusting after a Wesson or Ed Brown bob tail commander myself.
You won’t be disappointed with a DW VALOR or EB KOBRA.

On my budget, a Sig or a Colt is my idea of very high end. They will probably shoot just as good as those $4500 ones.

Attachments

• Colt 1911.JPG
    Colt 1911.JPG
    544.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Sig 1911R TACOPS.JPG
    Sig 1911R TACOPS.JPG
    378.7 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom