• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reasonable & Competent Old School Gunsmith Needed

You all need to move to North Georgia. Quite a few of us up here with decades of experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YOU have NO idea how badly the wife and I want out of Henry county, loved it here for many years but it now SUCKS.
Only thing stopping me from heading for the mountains is Money and maybe a slight bit of health ............. sigh.

Bear in mind that good work never was cheap. I am not sure where he is now but Bill Schwartz of of Big Buck Mountain road near Elijay is very capable.

I agree, but it also has to be fair - I don't want to purchase an entire new handgun when wanting a new front sight installed or a slide re-blued.
We seriously want to be in the North Georgia Mtns - praying it will happen sooner than later.

It seems that gunsmiths are being replaced by Armorers. The difference is just as many people described. Armorers change and sometimes fit new parts while gunsmiths repair parts.
It is a function of the trends in gun manufacture and use. My guess is that 90% of guns carried are autos, and the majority of revolvers and derringers almost never need repair.
No one is going to invest in training to perform a skill that they might need a few times per year at the most.
The few people who specialize in traditional refinishing like polishing and blueing are going to be able to demand a premium because so few remain. Also one off jobs take hours of prep, work and cleanup.
I want to get a special gun to me, coated in DLC, it is crazy expensive. Probably going to be near $400. The people that do it can charge that price because people are willing to pay it. I assume a nice polish and blue jog would be near that or more if there is much damage to the finish. On my gun I have just worn the original blue off. It has been with me about 5 years and 20,000 rounds. The slide to rail fit is still like ball bearings. A bead blast and hanging it in the DLC coating cabinet is all that I need but it is going to be expensive.

Let me know if anyone has experience with a DLC coating service. I would prefer it in black.

This^^^^ Assembling and fitting parts on a gun is not 'building it.' It is assembling it.

I hear that from SO MANY folks, a comment like Yup, "I built this one for a guy around the corner" when speaking of an AR - seems if you can correctly assemble a model car from the toy store then you can assemble an AR. -------------- Not much "skill" required.

There is a gentleman in Jones county that has worked on a number of my guns and often repairs stuff
a local gun shop gets in. Havent dropped by his place in a month or so. Hopefully he is still still at it. Works out of his house. A very knowledgeable man.

Back
Top Bottom