• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RBGC 2019 Run-and-Gun (5k/10k)

This was a fun and challenging one this year. I'll get my thoughts jotted down and posted soon. It was great meeting and seeing some of the ODT crew, sorry I couldn't meet everyone as I had to leave early for some family commitments.

With scores, if you guys want to nerd out on numbers like me I've linked an updated sheet that adds total stage times with penalties and % of performance. This makes the assumption that Run Score is our time in decimal places.

Best I can figure of grand total is your run score and shooting score added together and divided by 2.

http://practicalsharpshooter.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/2019-RBGC-Run-and-Gun-Scores-with-.pdf

Well, first of all, I had an outstanding time doing this event. This was my first run-and-gun event so I wasn't sure what to expect but I tried to prepare the best I could. One of the best parts was meeting a couple of ODT'ers. @pistolpat and bulletpaluza bulletpaluza whom I got to meet F2F for the first time which was awesome. I wish I could have shook hands with more of you.

For the most part the system I had thought through worked pretty well save for a few issues with mags falling out of my GP pouch located on my belt at the small of my back 3 or 4 times because I forgot to zip it back up. I actually completely lost 1 rifle mag and I can attribute being able to continue because I listened to the advice of ngcsugrad09 ngcsugrad09 (congrats on the win btw) in taking 1 extra mag beyond double the round count. I basically ran with belt only, with extra mags thrown in the GP pouch along with a silicone/soft water bottle.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190831170110574_COVER.jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190831165916721_COVER.jpg

Looking at the run scores I was at worst 8th (I can't see the hatchet/knife bonuses) and possibly as high as 3rd in raw run time. Running for 3 months with a 20lb vest helped tremendously but I am sad to say, I could not run shotgun hill. I tried, but it beat me and I had to walk it...BOTH TIMES...in a 5k.....
Apparently I have terrible navigational skills when I am overexerting myself. I ran all over that place looking for stage 2 and stage 4 and my Garmin watch showed I ran a nearly 4.5 miles on a course that should have been 3.5 miles. I hit shotgun hill twice and ran around in cubby holes like a chicken with my head cut off and also somehow missed the cornfield too apparently. I think next year I will go up a couple days early and run the route just make sure I know where I am going. My moving pace was 10:18 per mile and at one point my heart rate touched 197. Yikes.

Screenshot_20190904-115258.png

Overall I placed 11th out of 54 in the 5k and for my first event, I am definitely happy with that result. I ended up not getting a DNF on any stage, which was one of my goals, along with have fun and don't finish last. The one thing you learn real quick is there is a lot to go wrong in one of these over the course of an hour or so, so just keeping everything together is a mission in and of itself.

This is completely the fault of my own ignorance, but I didn't realize was how small an IPSC A/B zone is. And worst, I didn't realize this until after stage 5. I have only ever shot on IDPA targets so I was thinking if I was in the 0 or 1 down zone, that would be comparable. That is NOT the case. I will be buying IPSC targets from here on out.

Stage 1 was a tough one for me. If @RugerMeister was indeed running that stage he yelled at me probably 3 times for muzzle positioning on my rifle. So sorry dude! Of course my rifle was slung toward the ground, maybe pointing 12 inches left of my left foot and never pointed anywhere but there, but I still had issues not breaking the 180 plane running back to the pistol box until I figured I had to physically push the rifle against my sling across my body while running. I remember him yelling "YOU ARE SHOOTING GOOD BUT YOU HAVE TO SLOW DOWN!" After all the "SLOW DOWN!" instruction I went to slide lock on my last shot on the pistol target (15th round) and rushed to fire my last shot on the rifle target at EXACTLY the 3 minute mark. I did end up with two hits outside of the A-B zone on the paper but I got that one in with zero time to spare. The guy at the start of the stage told me I brought the wrong gun when he saw my P365. Ha! It's the little pistol that could.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190831165903156_COVER.jpg

Stage 2 Shotgun: Well I am a crossfitter so I killed the burpees quickly and then proceeded to embarrass myself by apparently not knowing how a double barrel shotgun works. Why in the world I didn't just grab the pumps I do not know. I went click, no bang on two clays and missed 2 of the other 3. I still don't know what went wrong.

Stage 3, 600 yarder: No problems clearing the wall, but I couldn't stay on that roof to save my life. I ended up holding myself up with my left hand and shooting one handed with my right hand. To make matter worse, the first 10 or so 600 yard shots I used the wrong hold on my scope. I have no idea what I was thinking. Once I realized what I was doing I pretty much ran it clean after that but I got that one in with only 3 seconds left.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190831165839419_COVER (1).jpg

Stage 4, the box, where I completely forgot to introduce myself to @mikefromphilly . Sorry buddy, next year for sure! Well, I smoked stage 4 and got 2nd overall. I remember telling my buddy that was with me that I don't think anyone could have shot the box stage faster than I did. Turns out, only one person did, ngcsugrad09 ngcsugrad09 by a full 16 seconds. What. The. Dude really!??

Stage 5 was after a full 55 minute wait time, I had one penalty on that round which is dumb considering you can fire all the make up shots you want. Lesson learned.

Stage 6, I missed the throwing targets completely and then had my first malfunction on my P365 with a failure to feed somewhere on the back targets. Not sure what happened but I got the gun up and running again fairly quickly, just to have to reload into a magazine that only had 2 rounds and then reload again from my side pocket. Doh! I probably burned an additional 10 seconds there with that nonsense.

I feel like the rifle I put together for the event was absolutely perfect. I am not changing a thing. My pistol is staying as well. I don't feel at a disadvantage at all with the P365 except its obvious that I can't shoot the hoser pistol stages near as fast as others but thats OK. Its the gun that defends my life every single day, so its the gun that will continue to go along with me on any shooting comp.

In the end, I loved every second of it. I came home and immediately registered for the Rockcastle Zombie 10k event in November. I am beyond hooked. Can't wait to see you guys there.
00000IMG_00000_BURST20190831165718854_COVER (1).jpg

This was a fun and challenging one this year. I'll get my thoughts jotted down and posted soon. It was great meeting and seeing some of the ODT crew, sorry I couldn't meet everyone as I had to leave early for some family commitments.

With scores, if you guys want to nerd out on numbers like me I've linked an updated sheet that adds total stage times with penalties and % of performance. This makes the assumption that Run Score is our time in decimal places.

Best I can figure of grand total is your run score and shooting score added together and divided by 2.

http://practicalsharpshooter.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/2019-RBGC-Run-and-Gun-Scores-with-.pdf

This is awesome thanks!

Well, first of all, I had an outstanding time doing this event. This was my first run-and-gun event so I wasn't sure what to expect but I tried to prepare the best I could. One of the best parts was meeting a couple of ODT'ers. @pistolpat and bulletpaluza bulletpaluza whom I got to meet F2F for the first time which was awesome. I wish I could have shook hands of more of you.

For the most part the system I had thought through worked pretty well save for a few issues with mags falling out of my GP pouch located on my belt at the small of my back 3 or 4 times because I forgot to zip it back up. I actually completely lost 1 rifle mag and I can attribute being able to continue because I listened to the advice of ngcsugrad09 ngcsugrad09 (congrats on the win btw) in taking 1 extra mag beyond double the round count. I basically ran with belt only, with extra mags thrown in the GP pouch along with a silicone/soft water bottle.

View attachment 2266631 View attachment 2266632

Looking at the run scores I was at worst 8th (I can't see the hatchet/knife bonuses) and possibly as high as 3rd in raw run time. Running for 3 months with a 20lb vest helped tremendously but I am sad to say, I could not run shotgun hill. I tried, but it beat me and I had to walk it...BOTH TIMES...in a 5k.....
Apparently I have terrible navigational skills when I am overexerting myself. I ran all over that place looking for stage 2 and stage 4 and my Garmin watch showed I ran a nearly 4.5 miles on a course that should have been 3.5 miles. I hit shotgun hill twice and ran around in cubby holes like a chicken with my head cut off and also somehow missed the cornfield too apparently. I think next year I will go up a couple days early and run the route just make sure I know where I am going. My moving pace was 10:18 seconds per mile and at one point my heart rate touched 197. Yikes.

View attachment 2266634

Overall I placed 11th out of 54 in the 5k and for my first event, I am definitely happy with that result. I ended up not getting a DNF on any stage, which was one of my goals, along with have fun and don't finish last. The one thing you learn real quick is there is a lot to go wrong in one of these over the course of an hour or so, so just keeping everything together is a mission in and of itself.

This is completely the fault of my own ignorance, but I didn't realize was how small an IPSC A/B zone is. And worst, I didn't realize this until after stage 5. I have only ever shot on IDPA targets so I was thinking if I was in the 0 or 1 down zone, that would be comparable. That is NOT the case. I will be buying IPSC targets from here on out.

Stage 1 was a tough one for me. If @RugerMeister was indeed running that stage he yelled at me probably 3 times for muzzle positioning. So sorry dude! Of course my rifle was slung toward the ground, maybe pointing 12 inches left of my left foot, but I still had issues not breaking the 180 plane running back to the pistol box until I figured I had to physically push the rifle against my sling across my body while running. I remember him yelling "YOU ARE SHOOTING GOOD BUT YOU HAVE TO SLOW DOWN!" After all the "SLOW DOWN!" instruction I went to slide lock on my last shot on the pistol target (15th round) and rushed to fire my last shot on the rifle target at EXACTLY the 3 minute mark. I did end up with two hits outside of the A-B zone on the paper but I got that one in with zero time to spare. The guy at the start of the stage told me I brought the wrong gun when he saw my P365. Ha! It's the little pistol that could.

View attachment 2266641

Stage 2 Shotgun: Well I am a crossfitter so I killed the burpees quickly and then proceeded to embarrass myself by apparently not knowing how a double barrel shotgun works. Why in the world I didn't just grab the pumps I do not know. I went click, no bang on two clays and missed 2 of the other 3. I still don't know what went wrong.

Stage 3, 600 yarder: No problems clearing the wall, but I couldn't stay on that roof to save my life. I ended up holding myself up with my left hand and shooting one handed with my right hand. To make matter worse, the first 10 or so 600 yard shots I used the wrong hold on my scope. I have no idea what I was thinking. Once I realized what I was doing I pretty much ran it clean after that but I got that one in with only 3 seconds left.

View attachment 2266646

Stage 4, the box, where I completely forgot to introduce myself to @mikefromphilly . Sorry buddy, next year for sure! Well, I smoked stage 4 and got 2nd overall. I remember telling my buddy that was with me that I don't think anyone could have shot the box stage faster than I did. Turns out, only one person did, ngcsugrad09 ngcsugrad09 by a full 16 seconds. What. The. Dude really!??

Stage 5 was after a full 55 minute wait time, I had one penalty on that round which is dumb considering you can fire all the make up shots you want. Lesson learned.

Stage 6, I missed the throwing targets completely and then had my first malfunction on my P365 with a failure to feed somewhere on the back targets. Not sure what happened but I got the gun up and running again fairly quickly, just to have to reload into a magazine that only had 2 rounds and then reload again from my side pocket. Doh! I probably burned an additional 10 seconds there with that nonsense.

I feel like the rifle I put together for the event was absolutely perfect. I am not changing a thing. My pistol is staying as well. I don't feel at a disadvantage at all with the P365 except its obvious that I can't shoot the hoser pistol stages near as fast as others but thats OK. Its the gun that defends my life every single day, so its the gun that will continue to go along with me on any shooting comp.

In the end, I loved every second of it. I came home and immediately registered for the Rockcastle Zombie 10k event in November. I am beyond hooked. Can't wait to see you guys there.
View attachment 2266647

5k course ended up being 4.25 miles so you didnt run to much further out of the way.

My run time was wrong. I have 61:55 total time by my Garmin. They have my run at 83. I never stopped my watch except for wait times. Oh well. Lesson learned. Verify it next time.

My stage 1 is wrong I was only missed 3 hits on the paper the first time and cleaned it my second time. It happens I don't get a score card though.

Timed out on 1, and badly but successfully completed 3 and cleared its wall - 3 was my favorite stage other than maybe the shotgun - Granted I was the kid with a 20" Rifle/ A2 stock and arguably had a velocity advantage at 600. Awesome time on my first run n gun - Thanks to all for R.O. ing / participating. Thanks to River Bend for Hosting.
What optic were you running?

Back
Top Bottom