• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ranges in North Georgia

As some one who hunts, hikes, and camps ALOT in national forest, please stick to designated shooting ranges. Zeroing a rifle or function testing out in the woods is cool, but it’s not cool when people are out just shooting. I had a close call a couple years ago and I’ve had more than a few hints ruined by some some jack leg doing a mag dump.

BUT it’s public land and you have as much say as I do...
I second this..

Yes we have WMA ranges. John's Mountain has already been named. But in my experience always crowded. I also used to shoot at my hunting club, that was good.

You just need to buy a Georgia hunting or fishing license to use any range at any WMA in the state. https://georgiawildlife.com/locations/ranges
There's also an interactive phone app available
Funny I just ran up on this. I’ve been to Chestnut many times, but I’ve always paid the $5 in the envelope. Recently we moved very close to the range and I figured I’d probably go there more often now so I was going to get the yearly pass. I looked all over the web and called six different offices with no luck, no one could tell me which pass or where to get it. You’re saying just a hunting license will do? No $5 either?

New to the outdoors trader, hopefully this is a good thread for my question.

Just moved from Alabama to the canton area in north Georgia.

In Alabama we had WMA ranges in the national forests that were super cheap to use ($30/year), rarely crowded, and largely unregulated. You’d pull up to the range setup on a table, set your target and start shooting. Twice in the years that I’d been going there had a ranger come out to check passes. Often I’d be the only one out there. It was almost like having your own land to shoot on.

Are there any spots in the area similar to what I’m used to? I understand canton and cumming are pretty populated but thought there might be a spot up in ellijay or dahlonegah?
Sumac Creek in Cisco, Ga. is a pretty nice range up Hwy. 411 north of Chatsworth, ga.

Welcome Spirit O ’76 Spirit O ’76
I, too, am in North Georgia. I'm near the south end of Lanier. I have yet to go to Wilson Shoals but from what I understand it just went through a nice renovation.

As a side question, anyone know where the closest national forest is to pull off and shoot from the 400?

Back
Top Bottom