• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Range Report DPMS G2 Hunter (308)

Shovelhead

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
82   0
Reaction score
Out on the range today after a few hours at the ODT swap meet(great time guys)

I've been wanting something different in an AR platform. .308 or some variant.
A few choices are out there and as usual I tried to research as much as I could.
The AR10 is really one of the true AR (308) platforms and the Armalite name
increases the price. I read what I could on alternative and also considered a garage build.
As it turns out most were out of my budget. I also considered used if I could find one but no luck.
DPMS kept popping to the top of the stack. My hesitation was the "stories" I'd read on the internet
about how bad DPMS sucked and we know if it's on the internet it has to be true.
In the end I ordered a next generation DPMS Gii Hunter model. Read all the hype on DPMS site.

I havent had time to work of a good 308 reload so I went with 2 box's of Remington 150 grain corelockt.
Plus 2 box's of Hornady A-Max 168gr. I topped the G2 a Millit LRS 6-25X 56mm scope. More power
then needed but the scope does double duty on my .308 12BVSS. BTW a great scope for the price.
I loaded up the 150gr Remington and got the scope on paper. It was holding less the MOA 3 shot groups
but I noticed some holes that appeared to be tumbler/keyholes. The barrel is 1::10 so I guess lighter
pills may have problems stabilizing. Even with possible keyholes it was accurate and not a single
malfunction. The rifle gobbled up ammo without a blip. Two boxes of Remington devoured and we
switched over to the Hornady 168gr A-Max. The DPMS loved that stuff groups shrunk at least 1/4 inch
and nice round holes. No apparent keyholing. Again 40 rounds fired and not a glitch.

All in all I have to give DPMS credit. The new lighter platform, innovative extraction system, solid well
made fit & finish on their Gii models. I cant wait to work up some favorite recipes for some
very accurate reloads.

Last edited:
I played with these a little at the Great American Outdoor Show. I think I see a Hunter in the future, with a barrel chop to 18" and an AAC mount on the end.

why not just get the recon model ? I love mine but haven't dialed in the cold bore flier which was 2.5 inches low, clean cold bore. then it was doing 1.5 or so moa at 100yrds off a prone bag with xm80 off my deck . I am worried about light ammo as well. i have lehigh 110 and 145 gr copper chaos and dont know how its gonna react or the best procedure of sighting in at simulated 50yrds vs my 100yr i did or even 200. If y'all have any tips on that let me know. I'm happy tho its an awesome rifle and a beast for the weight and size. i wouldn't choose anything else other then a REPR which i couldn't afford.

Back
Top Bottom