• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Range Day in Powder Springs GA, new date

It was nice meeting all of y’all!
Thanks for organizing the whole thing, Shep. I hope to see all y’all at some of his upcoming classes. They’re just as fun, but you also get the mountains of info and guidance he has to offer as well.

Also, sorry if any of you walked away from your targets and came back to a group of pelvis shots. My old lady decided dick shots were the coolest and most enjoyable part of shooting. :cool:

It was nice meeting all of y’all!
Thanks for organizing the whole thing, Shep. I hope to see all y’all at some of his upcoming classes. They’re just as fun, but you also get the mountains of info and guidance he has to offer as well.

Also, sorry if any of you walked away from your targets and came back to a group of pelvis shots. My old lady decided dick shots were the coolest and most enjoyable part of shooting. :cool:
She was actually grinning when she was doing it

Has a great time. Thanks for setting this up.
IMG_20200306_104453074_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200306_091903813.jpg
IMG_20200306_121516147_HDR.jpg

That was fun to watch, D Deleted member 79987 , for those of us who were not experienced enough to even attempt! Thanks for demonstrating.

CONGRATS on passing!!
Thanks, and great to meet you.

While it’s not really an ideal tool for skill development, I think there are some benefits for the average armed joe shmoe to be able to demonstrate they can pass a federally recognized shooting standard. But as Shep pointed out, the time standards for this are super generous so it isn't really that hard to pass if you put in some practice.

During those 60 rounds you go through everything from drawing from concealment, support hand only transfers, managing cadence of fire, emergency reloads, and shooting behind cover -- all shot from distances of 3 to 25 yards.

Here are the steps if you want to try it. All stages are done drawing from concealment. You can use any target with the FBI QIT reduced silhouette (I used the traditional QIT-97).
  • Stage 1 [Distance: 3 yards] [Time limit: 3 seconds] Draw, fire 3 rounds, strong hand only (2X).
  • Stage 2 [Distance: 3 yards] [Time limit: 8 seconds] Draw, fire 3 rounds, strong hand only. Transition to support hand only and fire 3 more rounds.
  • Stage 3 [Distance: 5 yards] [Time limit: 3 seconds] Draw, fire 3 rounds (4X).
  • Stage 4 [Distance: 7 yards] [Time limit: 4 seconds] Draw, fire 4 rounds (2X).
  • Stage 5 [Distance: 7 yards] [Time limit: 8 seconds] Draw, fire 4 rounds, perform an emergency (slide lock) reload, and then fire 4 more rounds.
  • Stage 6 [Distance: 15 yards] [Time limit: 6 seconds] Draw, fire 3 rounds (2X).
  • Stage 7 [Distance: 15 yards] [Time limit: 8 seconds] Draw, fire 4 rounds.
  • Stage 8 [Distance: 25 yards] [Time limit: 15 seconds] Start from behind firing line. On the beep, step forward to firing line and get behind cover, then draw and fire 2 rounds from standing position. Transition to kneeling position and fire 3 more rounds (2X).

Back
Top Bottom