• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Raccoons and turkey population

Shmelton

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
65   0
Reaction score
I heard a theory today from a game warden that made me think some research my be need to put into the matter.

Has the over abundance of year round or even 4-6 months of corn being fed to deer in much of GA caused an over population of Coons? Thus has that contributed to the decline in the turkey population?

Have we a created artificial food sources that created an over population of Raccoons? That is a definite yes. Over the last several yrs I’ve definitely seen an increase in the coon population on game cameras. It used to be 1-2 a night now it’s 10-15.

With that being said, what are these animals going to eat when we quit feeding them at the end of deer season? The GW has a very compelling argument. This will also factor into declining populations into local wood duck,song birds, quail (not many left anyway) and rabbit density.

Most folks will blame it on yotes, which was my response to the GW. He responded by asking me when the last time I saw turkey feathers in yote scat? Me personally, I’ve never seen turkey feathers in yote scat. I am not against baiting deer. I put corn out through out deer season. However, as sportsmen we may need to look into this. We may be seriously damaging one species in pursuit of another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting but might be as simple as I see tons of squirrels now but didn’t when I was a kid because in my area they were hunted 50 years ago. I also see coons regular on camera but no one hunts them anymore. Maybe it’s that simple but I don’t know

Yes feeding corn increases the Raccoon population (likely) and no one traps anymore for fur.
40 years ago I there was a strong fur market. I caught 6 coons and 6 possums near a feeder this winter. Removed all.
You need to trap those coons!

I’ve also heard this. I see several coons on cameras but never see them while hunting. Turkey population where I hunt has definitely gone down over the last 5yrs. Tried trapping them but only get yotes and the coons disappear for a few weeks. Need a good coon dog!

We have a coon hunter on our club. He hunts 2-3 nights a week, yet he only kills 1-2 coons a yr for dog training purposes. Most coon hunters don’t kill the coons anymore. They are just out there for the sport of treeing them.

I heard a theory today from a game warden that made me think some research my be need to put into the matter.

Has the over abundance of year round or even 4-6 months of corn being fed to deer in much of GA caused an over population of Coons? Thus has that contributed to the decline in the turkey population?

Have we a created artificial food sources that created an over population of Raccoons? That is a definite yes. Over the last several yrs I’ve definitely seen an increase in the coon population on game cameras. It used to be 1-2 a night now it’s 10-15.

With that being said, what are these animals going to eat when we quit feeding them at the end of deer season? The GW has a very compelling argument. This will also factor into declining populations into local wood duck,song birds, quail (not many left anyway) and rabbit density.

Most folks will blame it on yotes, which was my response to the GW. He responded by asking me when the last time I saw turkey feathers in yote scat? Me personally, I’ve never seen turkey feathers in yote scat. I am not against baiting deer. I put corn out through out deer season. However, as sportsmen we may need to look into this. We may be seriously damaging one species in pursuit of another.

There for a min I thought you were talking about the liberals..

Have had one or more cameras in the woods behind the house here in Canton for close to six years. Have had the corn feeder in this location for close to three years, the deer is feeding at it. If I point the camera any lower ,or more to the left, I get 20 or 60 videos per night of some very plump raccoons! I''ve seen coyotes, deer, foxes, coons, great blue herons, some creepy looking teenager at 2am, golden retrievers, but NEVER a turkey!
I could save a lot of money on corn if I thinned the herd of coons. Usually there's 3 or 4. Had 6 one night recently.
Not a big market for Daniel Boone caps anymore.

Back
Top Bottom