• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rabbits and recipes

The Old Jaybird

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
39   0
Reaction score
anybody hunting these cute furry critters? I figure with Easter coming up there might be a bumper crop. Head shot with a 22 or pellet gun best way to kill? Favorite recipes?? I am thinking just cooking meaty chunks in a big pot with some BBQ sauce, then shred the meat and put it on a bun?

anybody hunting these cute furry critters? I figure with Easter coming up there might be a bumper crop. Head shot with a 22 or pellet gun best way to kill? Favorite recipes?? I am thinking just cooking meaty chunks in a big pot with some BBQ sauce, then shred the meat and put it on a bun?
Hmmmm... rabbit sammich

I cook’em up battered and fried, then chunk’em up in pieces In some white gravy over a bed of white rice. Try it... you’ll thank me later

I cook mine up like mama did when we were growing up! Cut rabbit up in about six pieces, pare boil for about 20 minutes, Take out of water and sprinkle with salt and pepper roll in flour and fry till golden brown! Take rabbit out of pan add flour to pan and brown stirring as you brown it add broth from where rabbit was boiled and milk to finish gravey add rabbit back to gravey for about five minutes of cooking! Serve with mashed potatoes homemade biscuits and sliced tomatoes! We had this for breakfast on Saturday morning in winter time as I was growing up! Always kept several rabbit boxes set!

1) Rabbit season ended February 28th.
2) https://www.fox8live.com/clip/12933...67.370728299.1584922052-2121363064.1584922052

RABBIT SAUCE PIQUANTE
See the full video at fox8live.com.

Sauce piquante, or “peppery sauce”, is a stew-like dish of French origin in Louisiana. It can be made with seafood, domesticated meats or wild game. Tomato is added to the dish to give it a slight rusty color. Although called “peppery”, the sauce has just the right touch of spice.

Prep Time: 2 Hours
Yields:
8 Servings

Ingredients:

1 rabbit, cut into 8 pieces

salt and black pepper to taste

cayenne pepper to taste

1 cup oil

1 cup flour

2 cups chopped onions

1 cup chopped celery

¼ cup minced red bell pepper

¼ cup minced green bell pepper

¼ cup minced yellow pepper

2 tbsps diced garlic

1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste

1 (10-ounce) can Rotel® tomatoes

1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes

1 quart beef stock

2 tbsps sugar

½ tsp chopped oregano

2 tbsps Worcestershire Sauce

½ cup sliced green onions

¼ cup chopped parsley

Method:
In a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season rabbit using salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Sauté rabbit until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from oil and keep warm. Add flour to pot and, using a wire whisk, stir constantly until a dark brown roux is achieved. Add onions, celery, bell peppers and garlic. Sauté 3–5 minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Add tomato paste and continue to stir 5–6 minutes or until the sauce is a nice brown color. Add tomatoes and beef stock. Blend well into the roux mixture, bring to a rolling boil and reduce to simmer. Add rabbit, sugar, salt and peppers. Blend well. Add oregano and Worcestershire. Allow to simmer 1 hour or until game is tender. Finish with green onions and parsley. Serve over a plate of steamed white rice.

Recipe courtesy of Chef John Folse

Was brought up on em during the winter time. soak overnight in salt brine, flour up (add salt and pepper to taste), pan fry (cast iron pan) for about 15 to 20 min put them in a baking pan and add 1 can cream mushroom soup 1 cup milk and bake for 45 minutes to an hour at 350. What else is great is the drippings left in the pan to make gravy with and top potatoes or rice.

Back
Top Bottom