• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Questions for those mechanically inclined!

ToyotaDude22

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
194   0
Reaction score
Hey gang,

my wife drives a 2003 Toyota Highlander that she loves. I’ve been trying to buy her a new car for years and she insists on keeping it.

today I went out to start it and it wouldn’t start. Battery is good. Starter is working. But the car just won’t start. I have no idea if it’s a fuel pump or a sender unit or something. How can I troubleshoot? I figure it’s either not getting fuel or it’s not getting spark.

any ideas of where to start?

Spray some starting fluid into the intake and crank it over. If it hits and tries to start, you have a fuel problem.

No pop or firing, no spark.

You should hear the fuel system prime by the pump when key first turned to on.

If lack of fuel is suspected. you will need a fuel pressure gauge to see what is going on.

Computer throwing any codes?

I will have to check tomorrow when I am home. I didn’t hear the fuel pump priming but I was outside by myself and the car beeps loudly when you first turn the key, so I could hear anything over it.

I will try the starter fluid in the intake test. I haven’t done that in a long time and forgot about it.

the weird thing is, the car ran perfectly fine yesterday. There was a code for a gas cap, but once I replaced the gas cap, it didn’t go away. Perhaps the guy at autozone got the code wrong and it was something else with the fuel system.

03 should be a canbus system. They can give real time readings and also do some sensor checks of you have the correct obd reader. The good ones are expensive and are not a cure all, just another tool in your box.

I had an 03 Camry do similarly to what you describe and it was the camshaft positioning sensor. It was a cheap part but relatively hard to get to. I am almost positive that you won’t hear the fuel pump prime if this sensor is the culprit

Hmm good info. Sounds like buying a good OBD reader is a good place to start. Any recommendations as to which one to buy?

anyone local to sandy springs have one and don’t mind lending a hand? I’ll buy pizza and beer!

I'd start with checking pressure at the fuel rail. You should have around 48psi there with the ignition in the on position as the fuel pump should be running. It should maintain pressure even after you've turned the key off, s/b about 30psi 10 minutes after shut off. If fuel is ok I'd check spark with an inline test light by pulling a spark plug wire. If your pressure is low you need to check the pump, pump voltage and the fuel pressure regulator.

Something I recommend if you wrench on cars, pick up a obd Bluetooth sender unit. They cost just a tad over $10 and send the data to your tablet. There are Apple and Android compatible units. On your tablet grab Torque Lite (free) or Torque Pro (a few bucks). There is a mountain of diagnostic data available that way!

Had a truck with a fuel pump that went out once - it would turn over but that's it. I heard the fuel pump making strange sounds several days before, instead of the usual humming sound that was normal. Then no sound at all from it, when it wouldn't start.

Can you access the pump from under the rear seat? You could check it to ensure it's getting power and working properly.

This time of year, esp with all the rain, rodents are building nests in engine compartments. Look well with a flashlight for evidence of this and chewed wiring.

Back
Top Bottom