• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question to expierenced reloaders

Glorfindel

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Witch-King’s Daddy
87   1
Reaction score
Is it worth it? Me and my father have seriously considered reloading but are unsure if it's worth it. Our reasoning for wanting to start is just in case the cost of factory ammo gets to high. Is this a viable option? Would really like to know what everybody thinks.

It depends on what you shoot,

If you shoot the most popular rounds (say, 9mm, 223, 40cal, etc), you will have to work hard to save money.

If you shoot oddball stuff, cast lead, custom loaded hunting and subsonic ammo, then reloading can and will save you money in the long run.

When I first started loading, 38sp was the duty round for LEO, and I was hard pressed to load it cheaper than what I could buy loaded rounds. Today, 38sp isn't popular and is much more expensive.

Depends on what you consider "worth it".
For me, I enjoy reloading as a relaxing hobby. I also like being able to load more accurate rounds specifically for my guns vs. Off the shelf ammo.

Yes, you can save some money but I usually wind up buying more reloading stuff.

Depends on what you consider "worth it".
For me, I enjoy reloading as a relaxing hobby. I also like being able to load more accurate rounds specifically for my guns vs. Off the shelf ammo.

Yes, you can save some money but I usually wind up buying more reloading stuff.
How often do you reload? After every shooting session, after accumulating a certain amount of brass or jus whenever?

I don't shoot a lot. Maybe at most 150 rounds a month. 9mm and 40. Some .223 and .22-250
Either way if you decide to start loading or not.....shoot more. I know it's tough for some to get out there often but 150 rounds wouldn't be enough to justify owning a gun in that caliber let alone a reloading setup for it

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You will be hard pressed to beat the price on factory 9mm or 233 while reloading. Is it worth it, for me yes. I custom load for what I have. To beat the cost of factory rounds you need to buy in bulk. I'll wait for a sale and by 10k primers and as much powder that they will ship paying hazmat. Same with boolets wait for a sale, with two splitting the cost it's not bad.

A while back I purchased a 32 acp naturally no loaded ammo to be found, bought dies ,boolets and brass, now I am good. Same with 9x18 steel rounds are good but I prefer brass, I cut down 9x19, will always have enough.

Is it worth it, yes, it's more of a hobby then a necessity, when I go to the range I take at least 1k of 9mm. I enjoy loading them and shooting them.

If you do not already have the equipment, go over to Midway and fill a shopping cart with the essentials.

A press
A set of dies for each caliber
A scale
A powder measure
A case trimmer for the rifle cartridges, and a chamfer tool
A primer pocket cleaner or brush
A tube of case lube
A caliper for measuring cartridge length
A loading block
1000 bullets in 9mm, 40, an 223. 200 for the 22-250
3 pounds of powder
2,000 primers.

This is if you already have brass on hand. Otherwise add cost of 1,000 to 2,000 various cal brass.

Total this up and you have an estimate of your first several thousand loads. The more you load, the lower the equipment cost per round.

How often do you reload? After every shooting session, after accumulating a certain amount of brass or jus whenever?

I just try to have enough of all my calibers on hand.
I didn't load anything this weekend but ran a bunch of brass through the tumbler so it was ready.

Been trying to stockpile up on 300blk subs. I can load them a lot cheaper than buying off the shelf.

Back
Top Bottom