Question on rifle primers

buckdog1

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
20   0
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you or have you ever used magnum primers in standard calibers like 30-06, 270 or 243?

Yea, some folks run magnum primers in everything, others never use them.

I try to use the prescribed type, but if you are going to substitute one for the other it will change the pressure curve of the load.

Always start low and work up slowly. Many magnum primers are of a sturdier construction too, so signs of over pressure (flattening, cratering & such) may not show up as soon. The ole bolt becoming sticky may be your first sign of excessive pressure.

Bottom line, yes just use caution and a bit of logic when doing so. CD

I have read some load data from writers in handloader magazine where they do this in extremely cold climates. I use a magnum primer in my 338-06 Ackley Improved.

Yea, some folks run magnum primers in everything, others never use them.

I try to use the prescribed type, but if you are going to substitute one for the other it will change the pressure curve of the load.

Always start low and work up slowly. Many magnum primers are of a sturdier construction too, so signs of over pressure (flattening, cratering & such) may not show up as soon. The ole bolt becoming sticky may be your first sign of excessive pressure.

Bottom line, yes just use caution and a bit of logic when doing so. CD

Good Post! Agree 100%!

Magnum primers relate to the powder type, not the caliber!
Just becasue its a magnum caliber does not indicate the need for a magnum primer, same with pistol ammo.
Now many slow burning powders used to load magnum rifle calibers require a hotter magnum primer, again it depends on what you are stuffing into the case.
the loading data should denote what type of powder and primer that is used.

Back
Top Bottom