• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question on Open carrying

NoTreadingOnMe

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
Good morning guys,so I moved out here from ca(thank god) and brought my glock 21 sf with me, now that I have my ga id, I’m wondering how many people open carry their firearms? Is it better for me to get a conceal carry permit? I don’t want random people calling the cops on me when they see me walking around a store or something with my weapon on my hip. Just a little paranoid coming from cali where I had the police called on me for literally walking down the street with my glock box. And as far as picking up another firearm, I only need my id and a bill correct? Do I have to wait 4 days like in cali?

GA has a weapon carry license, not concealed carry permit. With it you can carry open or concealed. That includes items other than just firearms. To buy in GA all you need is a GA issued picture ID such as DL or ID card and pass a background check. If you have the Weapon carry license there is no background check required. There is no waiting period unless you get delayed on the background check. I am not sure of the legality of open carry without a weapon carry license. It has never applied to me as I have the license and I rarely open carry.

To open carry in Georgia, you need to have a Georgia Weapons License (GWL). Open carry is some what popular in Georgia and is your choice. I would recommend getting a good holster with some type of retention. Go ahead and apply for a GWL at the probate court of the county you live in and get that process started, as some counties are months behind. I recommend going to the probate courts website as some of them have you fill out paperwork online and set appointments. Ga Carry is a good resource for carrying questions, however it is best for you to look at the law yourself.

Ga Laws
http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/gacode

look up these laws:

16-3-21 (Use of force in defense of self or others)
16-3-23 (Use of Force in Defense of Habitation)
16-3-23.1 (no duty to retreat)
16-11-126 (where, when, and how to carry)
16-11-127 (Carrying weapons in unauthorized locations)
16-11-127.1 (Carrying weapons within school safety zones, at school functions, or on a bus or other transportation furnished by a school)

Reciprocity Map:
https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html
Click on Georgia to see what states honor our permits.

Good morning guys,so I moved out here from ca(thank god) and brought my glock 21 sf with me, now that I have my ga id, I’m wondering how many people open carry their firearms? Is it better for me to get a conceal carry permit? I don’t want random people calling the cops on me when they see me walking around a store or something with my weapon on my hip. Just a little paranoid coming from cali where I had the police called on me for literally walking down the street with my glock box. And as far as picking up another firearm, I only need my id and a bill correct? Do I have to wait 4 days like in cali?

First off, welcome to Georgia and congratulations on leaving California. Now that you're here, don't vote the same way Californians do. We're actually trying to keep our freedom here.

With open carry, even though you can, doesnt always mean you should. The element of surprise is a better card to keep up your sleeve vs warding off a potential threat. The kind of up to no good criminal that will be deterred by seeing that you've got a gun on your hip in plain site will be equally deterred as soon as you reveal your hidden gun. Problem is, the kind of up to no good criminal that is carrying a gun and doesnt value human life to begin with, your gun being in the open is just going to get you shot first and probably in the back before you realize anything is happening. Only place i open carry is in the woods or for political reasons.

Back
Top Bottom