• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question for the gurus

Truck123

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
53   0
Reaction score
I was told about an original Thompson for sale that has the select fire switch on it, would I need a class 3 to purchase it,thanks in advance.

you will have to have it transferred from the seller to you thru a Class 3 dealer. Same as a silencer/suppressor, you pay the person selling the rifle the money, the shop helps you fill out the paperwork (trust or individual) and you submit it to the BATFE for approval of your tax stamp (along with your $200). The shop hangs on to it till they receive your stamp back from the govt and you take possession. Can be anywhere from 3 to 13 months.

someone will correct me if i"m wrong but the process is the same for all NFA items (SBR, Suppressors, Machine guns, etc).

While it’s legal to transfer person to person I would insist it be sent to a dealer .

the reason for that is you have no way to control the situation otherwise . Most want money before they file the transfer paperwork.

Say they don’t ... the cops or atf won’t help as they will tell you it’s a civil matter . It’s not worth the risk. At a dealer you have security of knowing a 3rd party is involved and that to me makes the deal a lot more secure .

Anyone who would be unwilling is scamming you

Back
Top Bottom