• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question for for experienced gunsmith from student.

Buy cheap parts kits or go to pawn shops and pick up the pieces of junk they got. Fix them up. If they turn out nice sell them and buy more. If they turn out crappy then sell them back to the pawn shop.
I've thought about the pawn shop idea but I figured they really wouldn't take in things like that often, I'll try it though. Any part kits suggestions or suggestions on where to find them?

I've thought about the pawn shop idea but I figured they really wouldn't take in things like that often, I'll try it though. Any part kits suggestions or suggestions on where to find them?
What are you wanting to learn on. Types of projects? Refinishes? Engravings? Trigger jobs? Action jobs on rifles/ stock bedding…..etc.?

What are you wanting to learn on. Types of projects? Refinishes? Engravings? Trigger jobs? Action jobs on rifles/ stock bedding…..etc.?
I'm wanting to learn as much as I can but I'm thinking it's pretty smartest to do something like restorations to start, which I've done a couple of in the past but I wouldn't call them "professional grade" jobs but honestly I want to try anything I can get my hands on.

I'm wanting to learn as much as I can but I'm thinking it's pretty smartest to do something like restorations to start, which I've done a couple of in the past but I wouldn't call them "professional grade" jobs but honestly I want to try anything I can get my hands on.
Sounds like you are starting off in the right direction.
Look for a few donor pieces that folks will let you work on . Maybe you can work something out to get comped for your labor/time. Get folks to pony up the parts and you do the labor. Of course with the understanding that it is a learning process.
That along with buying up the cheapest beaters you can find and make something out of them etc., etc.,

Restorations can be a heck of a lot of fun. But even when you can buy something on the really cheap that's only partially there you can have a heck of a time and spend a heck of a lot of Jack looking for parts. By the way do you have a trigger guard for a Stephens 107 single shot 20 gauge LOL

Sounds like you are starting off in the right direction.
Look for a few donor pieces that folks will let you work on . Maybe you can work something out to get comped for your labor/time. Get folks to pony up the parts and you do the labor. Of course with the understanding that it is a learning process.
That along with buying up the cheapest beaters you can find and make something out of them etc., etc.,
That's a good idea as well, I'll definitely keep it in mind, thank you

Restorations can be a heck of a lot of fun. But even when you can buy something on the really cheap that's only partially there you can have a heck of a time and spend a heck of a lot of Jack looking for parts. By the way do you have a trigger guard for a Stephens 107 single shot 20 gauge LOL
I do not but I'll keep an eye out for one.

Back
Top Bottom