• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

question for anyone who has completed an 80% "gun'

I just finished putting together a poly80 G19 with a drill and a couple of files and it sure as hell took me longer than "a couple of minutes" to cut and finish the frame. I'd say it took me at least an hour of filing and finishing to get everything level and flush. The actual assembly of the parts on the frame and slide probably took me 1/2 hour, being it was my first one. I had watched a bunch of YouTube videos, but none were actually plain old instructional. The best one I saw was put out by the , Glockstore. Unfortunately, he was building an OEM Glock and so some of the parts used we're not exactly like what come with a Polymer 80.
My opinion is that building your own 80% is fun and is a little challenge if it is your first one. When people talk about slamming them together I would think how many does an individual need to build to get that proficient in the process. 1 or 2, it's a hobby, more than that and your are a firearms manufacturer, as you are selling them and without serializing them you are opening yourself up for a visit from someone from the government. Just my opinion. I am now going to build either a 17 or 34, just for range time. One last point, another reason Polymer 80's became so popular is besides being relatively easy to build, you get the possibility to choose between literally thousands of different components so every pistol you build can be a creative work of art. They are like AR's, one is never enough! Too bad Joe and the dems are going to end the supply. Hopefully, Polymer 80 or a competitor will start selling the serialized lowers cheaper to makeup for the cost of going thru an FFL.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

i dont think any average thug could do it.

Someone with a good working knowledge of guns maybe ,but this jondoe npr dude makes it sound like putting batteries in a remote .

You are making 2 very big mistakes with that post.

1: underestimating "thugs"

2. Overestimating the difficulty of making a firearm.

One needs to look no further than a Google search of "illegal homemade gun Brazil" to illustrate my point

9873cPi.jpg

You are making 2 very big mistakes with that post.

1: underestimating "thugs"

2. Overestimating the difficulty of making a firearm.

One needs to look no further than a Google search of "illegal homemade gun Brazil" to illustrate my point
But can they build that hi point glock 40 problem solver in 10 minutes ?:barbershop_quartet_

I wasn't interested in them until Biden wanted to ban them. Looks like with AR's, the easiest to use jig simply requires a router and a drill. I watched a video or two and they looked pretty easy.

I don't think anyone makes a kit that you can assemble, that would be a 100% kit and would require an FFL. I guess some pistols could be easier than an AR, but I haven't looked into those.
When I was 13 I built my first "gun" from a 5" length of 1/2" schedule steel water pipe and a sparkle wheel/flint assembly from an old Zippo lighter. I made my own black powder (at the time you could by potassium nitrate, Sulphur, and pharmaceutical grade charcoal from any drug store off the shelf.) I chopped of a piece of wheel weigh and rolled it between two steel plates to make it perfectly round, filing a little off at a time until it fit perfectly down the pipe. I charged it up and took it out to the woods behind our house, stood about 8 feet from a big Poplar tree and thumbed the sparkle wheel setting off the powder in the flash pan. Whoomph! It had a little recoil to it and when the smoke cleared there was a big old hole in the tree. I tried to dig it out with a knife so I wouldn't have to make a new ball but it was too deep. That first primitive "gun" was more than lethal enough to kill any man and I was just lucky it didn't kill me I guess. I didn't have a CNC mill or lathe, just some basic tools. Maybe I'll start selling kits!:tongue:

When I was 13 I built my first "gun" from a 5" length of 1/2" schedule steel water pipe and a sparkle wheel/flint assembly from an old Zippo lighter. I made my own black powder (at the time you could by potassium nitrate, Sulphur, and pharmaceutical grade charcoal from any drug store off the shelf.) I chopped of a piece of wheel weigh and rolled it between two steel plates to make it perfectly round, filing a little off at a time until it fit perfectly down the pipe. I charged it up and took it out to the woods behind our house, stood about 8 feet from a big Poplar tree and thumbed the sparkle wheel setting off the powder in the flash pan. Whoomph! It had a little recoil to it and when the smoke cleared there was a big old hole in the tree. I tried to dig it out with a knife so I wouldn't have to make a new ball but it was too deep. That first primitive "gun" was more than lethal enough to kill any man and I was just lucky it didn't kill me I guess. I didn't have a CNC mill or lathe, just some basic tools. Maybe I'll start selling kits!:tongue:

Gun buyback programs

i dont think any average thug could do it.

Someone with a good working knowledge of guns maybe ,but this jondoe npr dude makes it sound like putting batteries in a remote .

It’s much faster for a criminal to steal a Complete gun from a law abiding citizen.

Back
Top Bottom