• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question about siding, T1-11.

Jblue

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
159   1
Reaction score
I have a back porch that is finished from the ground up to waist level. Rest of the way up is screened. I've gotten pretty far closing it in. Have frame work inside the bay frames. Just ready to hang siding, which I've never done. Can I put this straight onto studs with a little house wrap? Or do I need to have a ply layer under it?? When I took everything down to the skeleton there was no sign of moisture under the finished bottom half. There will be several 48x48x3 areas between siding and siding stuff and inner drywall

If it's the thinner 3\8" thick t-111 I'd put some 1\2" plywood\ waferboard on first.

You'll need to stud in those big 48" areas too. 16" on center.
I've been busting my hump with the studs. It's all framed and tied. It is the 3/8 stuff. I was hoping to avoid plywood. That'll double my project cost. Do you really think it's a definite deal? And in that case would I wrap the plywood or wrap over the base foundation and stud work? I'm using tar paper in lieu of fancy pants tyvek.

I've been busting my hump with the studs. It's all framed and tied. It is the 3/8 stuff. I was hoping to avoid plywood. That'll double my project cost. Do you really think it's a definite deal? And in that case would I wrap the plywood or wrap over the base foundation and stud work? I'm using tar paper in lieu of fancy pants tyvek.
If you studded it to 16" on center then you might be ok .

You insulatng the walls ?

If you studded it to 16" on center then you might be ok .

You insulatng the walls ?

Yes. Using R11 because I happen to have a few bundles. And main concern with 16 on center is just supporting weight, right? It might not be exaaaactly 16”. But I have ample ground to put plenty of screws for good solid support

Is the opposite side OSB, or a paper mash dried, if not painted on under side, or it could be a re-do that could be in your near future again???

Before you put up the siding, have you wrapped the outside studs with plastic?

just some things to consider?

Is the opposite side OSB, or a paper mash dried, if not painted on under side, or it could be a re-do that could be in your near future again???

Before you put up the siding, have you wrapped the outside studs with plastic?

just some things to consider?
I lined the backside of the board with the plastic wrap. Just stapled it down as the boards cover all empty areas. There are pretty big beam between the boards. One pic is originally structure on epic is after a couple panels

Attachments

• AF225C9A-6F05-4681-AEB4-98F4247ED3C3.jpeg
    AF225C9A-6F05-4681-AEB4-98F4247ED3C3.jpeg
    24.6 KB · Views: 35
  • EB8E7107-1BE8-41D5-83C5-FA4F9E3A60B7.jpeg
    EB8E7107-1BE8-41D5-83C5-FA4F9E3A60B7.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 36
I had T-111 on my old house and experienced some decay in various places. I called the manufacturer and they recommended both sides be primed.
Thanks for all the replies. I primed the T1-11 with Kilz. It drank the primer up like a redhead on St. Patty's day. The back was lined with felt paper of course, insulation behind that.Where the T1 join at corners I think I'm going to put some metal corner pieces?

Back
Top Bottom