• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Purchasing my first AR-15

No reflection on the OP, but you just have to wonder where this kind of information gets started.

It's not close to being real - someone didn't "misunderstand" something that happened - someone made up a complete falsehood, and passed it on as true.

I am purchasing my first AR-15, When purchasing AR do I need a different permit other then CCW? I was told as the types and the longer the rifle is I would need to get a different permit to purchase them. is that correct? Please shine the light on me! :victorious:
iu
LOL

is there any sort of Colorado trader? I do some IT work in Denver every other month. Play a lot of disc golf in Colorado. Really wanna get a prairie dog shoot in one day. bring out a cpl rifles.

In Alabama you can't buy any firearm with your Carry permit anymore. Apparently some sheriffs office was just handing out permits and not doing background checks.

This is the best advice in this thread. Read it several times and try and soak in the info.

Stop saying "CCW". There is no such thing in the state of Georgia. We have and use a Georgia Weapons Carry License. Georgia does not have anything that resembles a "CCW".

A Georgia Weapons Carry License will help you bypass the background check to buy your rifle, but it is not required.

Take a look at the GCO website, and read through the actual laws, terminology, and what is, and is not, required. Become a member and help the fight.

www.georgiacarry.org

Go buy your rifle, enjoy it, and become active and fluent in Georgia's actual laws. Not what "some guy" has been telling you.

Jerry
Glad to see you here Mr. Henry.

As it should be.

"Back in the day" (how old people start their stories) I went down to the Probate court to get my permit for the first time. The Sheriff saw me there, and commented "lock that boy up!", then shook hands with me. He had known me since I was a kid, knew my parents, etc. It was a small county. They got out an ink pad, stuck my thumb print on the permit, and laminated it. In and out in 20 minutes, permit in hand.

Of course, back then half the cops in "the big city" (Macon) felt that a "public gathering" was any place two or more people were gathered in public, so in theory they could arrest you for carrying illegally if you were walking alone and they approached you, thereby making it a "public gathering".

Oh, well. It made me feel grown up and "legal" anyway.

My first CWP was one a slip of paper the size of a 3 to the page receipt. Filled out and signed by the probate judge.

True story - probate judges used to be called "ordinaries" - anyway this particular probate judge in a county of 20K had been judge since Christ was a corporal. It was one of those south Ga. counties that lost population during the 60s and 70s.

Kindly old gentleman, loved by everyone, never heard a bad word about him. So he ups and dies. Happens. The county has to audit his office before the new probate judge can take over.

So they audit his books. Find out he had photocopied a page of those 3 to the page "pistol toters permit" (actual official name), he would tear one of the photocopy and hand it to the applicant, and pocket the money. He had not remitted any funds to the county fo rthose permits in decades. No one in the county government thought to look for it. Our kindly beloved old judge was an embezzling stealing thief.

Kind of funny, it couldn't have been much money, I think the permits cost $5, and were good for 4 or 5 years, so couldn't have much money in a county that size.

Of course he collected on traffic fines too, and there's no telling how much of that stuck to his fingers.

Back
Top Bottom