• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pulled the AP trigger

medium187mph

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
217   0
Reaction score
I’ve been using a Redding T7 for a few years and pulled the trigger on a Hornady L&L AP...

I like the ability to swap out the pistol to rifle set up on the L&L

Will continue to use the T7 for some precision bolt rounds as the L&L is more of a pump and dump system. Dillon is in the works hopefully soon as well.

you can go down the "rabbit hole" when it comes to reloading equipment. you start with one press, then a second, then a third and so on. before you know it it will be time to build a bigger bench to hold everything. ask me how i know. i just made a new 10 foot bench for the presses and a 8 foot bench for the cast bullet operation.

Seems like a good place to ask since y’all are on the subject.

Been using a single stage RCBS for awhile now but have gotten out of most calibers and have started shooting a lot more 9mm and 556. Been considering selling everything and going to a progressive.

Obviously, a Dillon is probably the answer but what do y’all recommend for a minimum setup focusing on volume?

you can go down the "rabbit hole" when it comes to reloading equipment. you start with one press, then a second, then a third and so on. before you know it it will be time to build a bigger bench to hold everything. ask me how i know. i just made a new 10 foot bench for the presses and a 8 foot bench for the cast bullet operation.

to save myself some room, I’m investing in the Inline Fabrication quick plates so I can easily swap out my T7 and L&L AP on the same footprint location.

This seems to be the way to go for limited space and storage reasons.

Are you familiar with what I am talking about?

https://inlinefabrication.com/colle...ts/flush-mount-quick-change-system-base-plate

First you buy the base and mount it to the bench. Then you buy the base plates for the bottom of your individual presses. They connect with two simple quick disconnect screws so you can load progressive and then simply disconnect and then attach the single stage to the same spot and tighten the screws.

I wasn’t a real fan of the higher mounting systems because I couldn’t sit comfortably and load up as they seem to be too tall for comfort. Not wanting to stand and load any more hahaha

Been using a single stage RCBS for awhile now but have gotten out of most calibers and have started shooting a lot more 9mm and 556. Been considering selling everything and going to a progressive.

Obviously, a Dillon is probably the answer but what do y’all recommend for a minimum setup focusing on volume?

I looked really really hard into the Dillon but found that I would have to buy conversion kits as well as some other things to load up.

I’ve already got all of the dies and like the Lock and Load bushing system for a lot less. Once my dies are set, I can swap out loading 308 to 223 to 45 to 38 special really quickly. I don’t see myself spending more then 4 times a month loading so the Hornady LL AP seemed to cover everything for me for a lot less then getting started with Dillon.

I am not knocking Dillon, I’m just not wanting to spend that kind of coin based on my needs at this time.

For minimum setup and volume, the Dillon 550 is a good compromise, plus you can use the dies you already have on hand. As to having to get various conversion kits, not true, most shell plates, powder funnels and tabs can be used with other calibers. Dillon has a chart as to which are used with each caliber.

I’ve been using a Redding T7 for a few years and pulled the trigger on a Hornady L&L AP...

I like the ability to swap out the pistol to rifle set up on the L&L

Will continue to use the T7 for some precision bolt rounds as the L&L is more of a pump and dump system. Dillon is in the works hopefully soon as well.
I love my LNL AP! It's not perfect, but it's very usable and turns out quality ammo at a very quick rate. After about 12k rounds loaded on mine, one piece of advice I would give any LNL AP owner is to upgrade the priming system. It is a weak point. The option I used is from Black Cat Works: https://www.blackcatworks.com/Hornady-LNL-AP-Primer-Cam-Wire-Bracket_p_15.html
Should set you back less than $10 including shipping.

Back
Top Bottom