• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Prostate Cancer

I have prostate cancer and am having mine removed the AM of the 22nd.
I sure would appreciate prayers from you guys. Thanks

Prayers for all of you going through this.
My Mom had to have a hysterectomy back in December. She had stage 3. She did the surgery and 6 chemo treatments and is now cancer free...So far, so good. We are remaining cautiously optimistic.

Prayers for all of you going through this.
My Mom had to have a hysterectomy back in December. She had stage 3. She did the surgery and 6 chemo treatments and is now cancer free...So far, so good. We are remaining cautiously optimistic.

Thank you. Hope "Mom" does well.

Reactions: MRH
I have recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer. PSA was 5.07 and Urologist did biopsy on me. Took 12 core samples and 3 came back positive. Gleason score of 6, low grade, non-aggressive. We discussed treatment and the options were: Active surveillance, surgery to remove prostate, external beam radiation, and radioactive seed therapy.

Urologist sent me to a Radiology Oncologist for a consultation. After digital exam and lengthy discussion and explanation, RO recommended 5 weeks of external beam radiation followed by seed therapy treatment. I am 72 years old and in good health otherwise.

Anyone of my ODT friends out there had this combination treatment, or, any other treatment? I would like to hear from you as to your experience, results, side effects, etc.. Any information that you can share with me will be appreciated.

I have recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer. PSA was 5.07 and Urologist did biopsy on me. Took 12 core samples and 3 came back positive. Gleason score of 6, low grade, non-aggressive. We discussed treatment and the options were: Active surveillance, surgery to remove prostate, external beam radiation, and radioactive seed therapy.

Urologist sent me to a Radiology Oncologist for a consultation. After digital exam and lengthy discussion and explanation, RO recommended 5 weeks of external beam radiation followed by seed therapy treatment. I am 72 years old and in good health otherwise.

Anyone of my ODT friends out there had this combination treatment, or, any other treatment? I would like to hear from you as to your experience, results, side effects, etc.. Any information that you can share with me will be appreciated.

Pop, thanks to mtnsmith mtnsmith , I am reading your OP again and hope you are doing well.
My Dr with my Gleason Score of 7 and cancer found in 2 out of 12 biopsies gave me the same options as yours did as far as treatment but recommended I have mine removed. I agreed.
Let us know what you decided to do and how you are doing.

I had similar numbers 16 years ago at age 69 and went to Radio Threrapy of GA (RCOG) for seeds and then radiation for about 30 days. Dr Crist runs that place and they have about a 94% 10 year cure rate for those approx numbers PSA/Gleason score. Surgery at Johns Hopkins is about the same 10 year cure rate. Lot of pluses for seeds versus surgery. Some advantages are preservation of more nerves, no scar tissue in uretha, easier recovery. The prostate being a mass of blood vessels, it is one of the bloodiest operations there is. I would not have seeds implanted any where bur RCOG as they use precision methodology.

I've posted before about this. I had a PSA of 14.9. I did external beam radiation,45 treatments.My Doctor did the lymph nodes also to make sure. I was 79 at the time. My PSA now is very low. My testosterone dropped to 0 and I thought for a while I had to buy a skirt and high heels.I experienced severe hot flashes. It's a little better now.
The Doctor did not want to freeze or operate because of my age.
God bless and Good luck.

Pop, thanks to mtnsmith mtnsmith , I am reading your OP again and hope you are doing well.
My Dr with my Gleason Score of 7 and cancer found in 2 out of 12 biopsies gave me the same options as yours did as far as treatment but recommended I have mine removed. I agreed.
Let us know what you decided to do and how you are doing.

Thanks, I should have mentioned that ROCG and Johns Hopkins cure rates are 'published cure rates' I have been doing fine. Unrelated, I think, I did have a melanoma cancer removed from the backside of my head in 2010. But I have been having skin cancers for the last 40 years, basal and squaemous cell.

Back
Top Bottom