• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Propane/multifuel generators

I picked one up. My preferred fuel for it will be natural gas. It will take a while to get the natural gas line ran to where I want to connect it to the generator. I have lost electrical power many times, but I have never lost natural gas. I am sure this will be used sooner or later during a localized power loss.

For a wide area grid down event, I am hoping that the natural gas supply lasts at least a few days just based on the miles and miles of lines under existing pressure. Maybe it will last long enough to allow powering the refrigerator so the food can be eaten before it spoils.

View attachment 3327526

OK, I have been talking to Mrs. Klif a lot lately about generators. I was going to opt for a dual fuel (propane and gas) and she is on a rant that they will both run out and we should go with solar charged inverter generator. I looked at this one on Amazon "

Generark Solar Generator For Homes: Portable Power Station Backup Battery & Solar Panel Power Generator. 1000W-2000W at 110V. Up To 7 Days of Emergency Power Supply. (1x2 (For 1-2 People Family)) "​

It comes with 2 solar panels and looks like it can run the freezer and the fridge and maybe a light or two. Won't run the hair dryer very long (that's almost a game stopper right there for her). But, when I first looked at it the price was $1399. When I went back to read it again it had gone up $100 to $1499. But, does look like a good option since there is no gas or propane to buy and no noise.

What do you think?

1000w-2000w is not much. How many WATT i start up on the fridge and the freezer?
Solar is my long term goal, and I I have ground to put panels in. But to do it right requires thousands of dollars, and more time than I have.

Realistically, I think I will end up with both. In the fall and spring we get weeks of rain in GA. Solar panels will not charge. With a propane generator I can run it 8 hours a day to keep fridge and freezer cold, run the well pump, and take showers. Once sun comes out, I can switch back to solar.

I think it is coming down to Firman or the Ford generator for me, Ford has the edge due to wattage. I wish I knew how "clean" the power was that they generated.
Inverter generators are nice, but they are gasoline only, and I could not find conversion LPG kits for inverter generators, gasoline only.
It will be wired to the house via the transfer switch.

Also looking at this:
Silenced exhaust has my attention.

If generator is LPG capable, will it run on Natural Gas?
Only Firman says in can run off gasoline, LPG and NG. So I may have to go that route. This is not my forever house., and I would want to connect generator to the NG line in the new house.

I think it is coming down to Firman or the Ford generator for me, Ford has the edge due to wattage. I wish I knew how "clean" the power was that they generated.
Inverter generators are nice, but they are gasoline only, and I could not find conversion LPG kits for inverter generators, gasoline only.
It will be wired to the house via the transfer switch.

Also looking at this:
Silenced exhaust has my attention.

If generator is LPG capable, will it run on Natural Gas?
Only Firman says in can run off gasoline, LPG and NG. So I may have to go that route. This is not my forever house., and I would want to connect generator to the NG line in the new house.
I run battery back up power supplies on router and phones. Living in the middle of nowhere we only have communication when these work. It has the added benefit (or at least I believe it does) of smoothing the power to these devices. We don’t have TV, we use iPads rather than computers, so this works for us. We always have a couple of portable power banks charged for the iPads and cell phones. Currently run one small generator to power battery back ups, fridge, freezer, we use led battery lights and live without everything else.

I will need to look into UPS for the modem and router.
I have 3 freezers (2 smal chest, 1 upright) , plus a fridge, plus well pump, heater and stove. 7500W seems like the minimum we would want to have, and alternate showers (pump and heater) and cooking.

I routed NG outside when we had our deck rebuilt so the grill never runs out of gas. It has a quick disconnect which would be perfect for a generator. If I'm not mistaken NG has less specific energy per mass than propane, which is in turn less than gasoline. Gasoline storage is the booger. I guess you could always siphon it out of your car's tank.

I really should look into this kind of stuff...

I routed NG outside when we had our deck rebuilt so the grill never runs out of gas. It has a quick disconnect which would be perfect for a generator. If I'm not mistaken NG has less specific energy per mass than propane, which is in turn less than gasoline. Gasoline storage is the booger. I guess you could always siphon it out of your car's tank.

I really should look into this kind of stuff...
You are absolutely right. Ratings on Firman generator are highest for gasoline, lowest for NG.
But not having to deal with old fuel is huge to me. I can always use LPG in the grill.

Back
Top Bottom