• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Problems getting WCL in Camden county- Update Pg. 7.

Oh I'm quite sure the lawyer will "hepp him." LOL!

I know all the lawyers there. He will probably have to go to Fl. to get one who will mess with the local political establishment.

Until you've lived in worked in one of the many small population counties in Georgia, you don't realize how insular they are. Most of the offices like probate judge, clerk of court, sheriff, are inherited. They basically don't give a crap about what you or your lawyer think.

Everyone of a reading nature should read Praying for Sheetrock, a true account of the way things was done in McIntosh County.

I checked their website for fun... as that’s were I went to get their scheduling number and I pretty sure the forms to fill out when I did mine.

https://www.co.camden.ga.us/246/Probate-Court

It looks like the guy you want to go after is going to be Supreme Justice Harold D. Melton. His order is on their site... and is said to expire way back on 4/14/20, unless extended (I assume it is but there’s no proof of it).

https://www.co.camden.ga.us/DocumentCenter/View/11681/Amended-Statewide-Judicial-Emergency-Order

The court is to be open...

(1)where an immediate liberty or safety concern is present requiring the attention of the court as soon as the court is available

So the order knocks things down in a non-descript way but also declares it has to be open for essential things for immediate liberties “as soon as the court is available” which may be more on Camden than the Supreme Court. So... this is your guy to reach out to. The nuts and bolts of their personnel and schedule limitations aren’t included and I can’t say whether that rests at the county level or above.

Like it said earlier, the folks in Camden may well not be the folks to lean on. They were nothing but kind and seemed as frustrated with the situation as I was.

A drivers license is a privilege. Carrying a gun for self defense is a right.

Apples. Oranges.
If you believe that then why pay the government for a permit? The requirement to buy GWL in order to keep and bear arms in public is an infringement, no matter what the book lawyer and gun advocacy groups say.

Apples. Oranges. Bananas.

I had to wait until my WCL , expired then was given a 3 month Grace period, then a appointment 3 months down the road. My appointment was Easy n quick, my license arrived 2 months later, it it wasn't for the ODT GUYS helping me out , I was screwed!

Well, this what the law says about the question asked by the O.P.:

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-129
(1) (A) For weapons carry license applications, the judge of the probate court shall within five business days following the receipt of the application or request direct the law enforcement agency to request a fingerprint based criminal history records check from the Georgia Crime Information Center and Federal Bureau of Investigation for purposes of determining the suitability of the applicant and return an appropriate report to the judge of the probate court. Fingerprints shall be in such form and of such quality as prescribed by the Georgia Crime Information Center and under standards adopted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation may charge such fee as is necessary to cover the cost of the records search.

(B) For requests for license renewals, the presentation of a weapons carry license issued by any probate judge in this state shall be evidence to the judge of the probate court to whom a request for license renewal is made that the fingerprints of the weapons carry license holder are on file with the judge of the probate court who issued the weapons carry license, and the judge of the probate court to whom a request for license renewal is made shall, within five business days following the receipt of the request, direct the law enforcement agency to request a nonfingerprint based criminal history records check from the Georgia Crime Information Center and Federal Bureau of Investigation for purposes of determining the suitability of the applicant and return an appropriate report to the judge of the probate court to whom a request for license renewal is made.

(2) For both weapons carry license applications and requests for license renewals, the judge of the probate court shall within five business days following the receipt of the application or request also direct the law enforcement agency, in the same manner as provided for in subparagraph (d)(1)(B) of this subsection, to conduct a background check using the Federal Bureau of Investigation's National Instant Criminal Background Check System and return an appropriate report to the probate judge.

(4) The law enforcement agency shall report to the judge of the probate court within 30 days, by telephone and in writing, of any findings relating to the applicant which may bear on his or her eligibility for a weapons carry license or renewal license under the terms of this Code section. When no derogatory information is found on the applicant bearing on his or her eligibility to obtain a license or renewal license, a report shall not be required. The law enforcement agency shall return the application directly to the judge of the probate court within such time period. Not later than ten days after the judge of the probate court receives the report from the law enforcement agency concerning the suitability of the applicant for a license, the judge of the probate court shall issue such applicant a license or renewal license to carry any weapon unless facts establishing ineligibility have been reported or unless the judge determines such applicant has not met all the qualifications, is not of good moral character, or has failed to comply with any of the requirements contained in this Code section. The judge of the probate court shall date stamp the report from the law enforcement agency to show the date on which the report was received by the judge of the probate court.

(j) Applicant may seek relief. When an eligible applicant fails to receive a license, temporary renewal license, or renewal license within the time period required by this Code section and the application or request has been properly filed, the applicant may bring an action in mandamus or other legal proceeding in order to obtain a license, temporary renewal license, or renewal license. When an applicant is otherwise denied a license, temporary renewal license, or renewal license and contends that he or she is qualified to be issued a license, temporary renewal license, or renewal license, the applicant may bring an action in mandamus or other legal proceeding in order to obtain such license. Additionally, the applicant may request a hearing before the judge of the probate court relative to the applicant's fitness to be issued such license. Upon the issuance of a denial, the judge of the probate court shall inform the applicant of his or her rights pursuant to this subsection. If such applicant is the prevailing party, he or she shall be entitled to recover his or her costs in such action, including reasonable attorney's fees.

Thought ya'll would like an update.

It turns out that this whole mess has been somewhat pointless. Due to how my vehicles ownership is structured (co-owned with family because I bought it when I was in college), I was not able to register it with GA and get insurance in state. That, combined with my plan to move 3mi south to FL ASAP to escape state income taxes, means that there is no practical reason for me to become a GA resident.

I was pretty angry a few weeks ago, but now I'm not so angry because it doesn't matter. Also, to those posters who mentioned small town politics, I completely understand- it's just like that in my hometown in MS.

Lastly, I did find a work-around for those in a similar pickle as I was. You can go to FL and get a non-resident permit that's good for a few years. It's less than $200 and supposedly the wait time is < 50 days. You do have to take a firearms training course, but the requirements are super easy. FL is completely open and pretty much the same as 2019, but with skyrocketing real estate costs.

Back
Top Bottom