• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Problems getting WCL in Camden county- Update Pg. 7.

Hello,

I am in the process of formally establishing myself as a resident of Georgia. I called today to schedule an appointment to get fingerprinted for a WCL and was told that the earliest I can even begin my application for a WCL was May 20. This seems absurd for a relatively rural county. I know that GA will honor my out of state permit for 3 months, but there will be a gap where I will be forced to choose between carrying illegally or being defenseless. This seems very wrong, especially with the county sheriff being supposedly gung-ho about the second amendment...

Does anyone know of a good lawyer I can speak to in southeastern GA? I am interested in suing, or at least using the threat of a lawsuit, to get an appointment to begin my WCL application process.

Thanks,
biometrician

The Sheriff doesn't issue the GWCL. It comes from the probate court.

There was a lawsuit filed on the GWCL early in the pandemic, and it was quickly dismissed. A subsequent lawsuit was supposed to be filed in Hall County, but it apparently didn't go anywhere either.

I got one a few months back and had my VA license lapse for a few months. As I recall I made the appointment when they opened appointments back up around July of this past year and called the first week they said they were opening up for appointments. There were several months they wouldn’t do anything at all in the spring/summer. By the time I called, the earliest appt was late October. I got in... they did all the fingerprints there, picture, turned in forms, paid the lady and got the license in the mail w/in a week or two. You can DL the forms ahead of time you I save time and if you’re military (not sure but 1/2 of Kingsland is) on orders, they need your orders and a bill to show you’re residing in GA. They said if their fancy fingerprint copy machine didn’t work, they’ll do it at the police station with ink but they took fine, even though one of my fingerprints is messed up from an earlier injury.

They’re only letting folks into the probate court one at a time and is stupid inefficient. I wish they’d let folks stand outside and wait for an opening. There’s a big wide passageway with benches all along outside the rooms. There wasn’t a soul in there when I walked in and wasn’t anyone waiting on deck when I walked out. They apparently make 15 minute blocks for each individual and it took 5-10 minutes to do. If someone forgets an appt because they made it months out, I guess the folks take a smoke break.

As to lawyering up? I can’t recommend anyone in town. Never needed one. All the billboards around the base are for divorce lawyers... not “anything” lawyers. And... yeah... I’ll open carry fishing/hunting but wouldn’t do it just out and about w/o a license... assuming I did at all (which I don’t). There are a few folks that I see in town do it. Good on them. I hope they have a permit.

Given what I saw... I’d be calling to ask for cancellations or if you can sit n the bench right outside their door (the actual probate court room had all the chairs removed) for a no show. I can pretty much guarantee they have them.

Edit: A side note, the couple ladies in there were super nice and I doubt have a hand in any policy making they’re having to abide by. If you want to play hardball... I’d give them a pass... and specially if you want to see if they’ll do something to hook you up. I do think they’ve got to make an appt to let you get in past the security checkpoint... so they’d have to do something they even let you get in the building.

Back
Top Bottom