• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Private Parties Gifting a Handgun Across State Line

Yes, interstate is federal, but it also has to be legal in both states. You can't legally ship a non-CA compliant 'assault rifle' to someone in CA.

I also want to say that this came up before, and that handguns must go FFL -> FFL for any interstate transfer.

From the ATF site:

Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of state, the firearm must be shipped to a federal firearms licensee (FFL) within the transferee’s state of residence. The transferee may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/whom-may-unlicensed-person-transfer-firearms-under-gca

Since the only person who can ship a handgun across state lines is another FFL, this kind of implies that you can't drive to the other state and just do the transfer there. I can't say if this is accurate though.

As mentioned above, with a gun that could end up in a self-defense case, it's important that there's nothing about it to give the prosecution any kind of leverage if it had to go to court.

Shipping FFL to FFL isn't all that expensive either, especially if you deduct what you would have spent in gas to drive it there.

Anyone can ship a handgun across state lines. It just must go to a FFL and it can’t go usps.

Anyone can ship a handgun across state lines. It just must go to a FFL and it can’t go usps.

That's right. I was trying to remember why I've used an FFL shipping handguns out of state for repairs or gunsmith work.

It's not illegal, as you say, just ridiculously expensive.

FedEx and UPS both require you to ship them next day. I think FedEx wanted $90 to ship my CZ 75 SP01 Tactical (it's a heavy gun). An FFL shipped it for me for $35 via USPS.

That's right. I was trying to remember why I've used an FFL shipping handguns out of state for repairs or gunsmith work.

It's not illegal, as you say, just ridiculously expensive.

FedEx and UPS both require you to ship them next day. I think FedEx wanted $90 to ship my CZ 75 SP01 Tactical (it's a heavy gun). An FFL shipped it for me for $35 via USPS.

Yes sir

Back
Top Bottom