• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Private Parties Gifting a Handgun Across State Line

I’d like to know this also. I’d like to send something to my Dad.

Yeah, I'm giving my Mom a Lady Smith. Just don't want us to become felons.

I think it's great y'all are giving your parents back their guns. Or loaning them yours, whichever the case may be. Good sons.

the easiest answer is Yes you have to use a FFL.

One thing with it being your mom is you might be able to get away with letting her "borrow" your pistol or just wanting to leave one of your firearms at your parents place, but again safest and easiest thing would to just use an ffl
Yeah, I'm going to take her shooting, then to get her carry license. Better safe than felon.

Unless she lives somewhere that “requires” registration of firearms who’s gonna know it wasn’t hers to begin with? What they don’t know won’t hurt them...I mean you could “lose” it I. Her back yard and she “finds” it and you never claim it ....

I think it's great y'all are giving your parents back their guns. Or loaning them yours, whichever the case may be. Good sons.
Yeah, shes a great Mom, and afraid of all of the crap going on. I had a couple dozen handguns laying around, until they were lost at sea last week. I managed to save the Smith and a couple boxes of ammo for her.

Yeah, I'm going to take her shooting, then to get her carry license. Better safe than felon.

This is the best course of action. I transferred a new Glock to my daughter in Alabama last week. The receiving FFL only charged me $15.00 to receive from me and transfer to her.

Now we have no concerns about how it crossed state lines.

Jerry

the easiest answer is Yes you have to use a FFL.

One thing with it being your mom is you might be able to get away with letting her "borrow" your pistol..but again safest and easiest thing would to just use an ffl

ATF says that long-term loans are still a type of "transfer"
that triggers the interstate FFL requirement.
06888824-DB0A-47C1-B5BA-37E767386084.jpeg

Unless, God forbid, she has to use it one day.

Then some over-zealous District Attorney starts asking a bunch of questions. Then your mom mentions she got it from her son. Oh yea, he lives over in Georgia.

Great, now on top of the shooting, lets investigate this and see if we can charge you and him with felonies for illegal transfers of a firearm.

It's a stupid law. it should be done away with. I don't like it.

But it's not worth the potential of putting a family member in harms way of having a felony charge against them.

That's my opinion. Others may think differently....

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom