• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Private Car Sellers that are actually Sleezy Dealers here on the ODT

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is what happened with my 2012 Explorer. And I had to bring in the sales contract to prove the sales tax was paid.
My point was that all vehicle sales are now taxed, there is no private sale exemptions anymore. I’d have to Google when it changed but it’s been awhile now. I take it you don’t buy and sell many vehicles.

My point was that all vehicle sales are now taxed, there is no private sale exemptions anymore. I’d have to Google when it changed but it’s been awhile now. I take it you don’t buy and sell many vehicles.

My sale was from the DEALER, brand new. The second year I paid the registration I went down to the county office in person. The guy there said, bring back your bill of sale and if the sales tax you paid was high enough I can give you form to fill out so that any registration fees you pay in future are just the $18...no ad valorem tax.

As for buying and selling vehicles? I buy ones that last.

That is correct. Whoever goes to register the car at the Tag Office, whether the dealer or private person, will pay the full taxes for that vehicle. I bought my 2012 Ford F-150 from a friend, paid the very fair price at the time, when I went to the Tag Office they said the truck was at a value three times of what I paid. And I had no chance to get out of it, without paying the amount they calculated.

My sale was from the DEALER, brand new. The second year I paid the registration I went down to the county office in person. The guy there said, bring back your bill of sale and if the sales tax you paid was high enough I can give you form to fill out so that any registration fees you pay in future are just the $18...no ad valorem tax.

As for buying and selling vehicles? I buy ones that last.
The ad Valorem tax is a thing of the past. Although, since you bought yours during the time it was transitioning to straight sales tax, you could have either kept paying the ad valorem tax or paid the one time sales tax. My EDD I paid the sales tax, but I had a couple that I know I would trade off that I didn’t. But it’s no longer an option.

The ad Valorem tax is a thing of the past. Although, since you bought yours during the time it was transitioning to straight sales tax, you could have either kept paying the ad valorem tax or paid the one time sales tax. My EDD I paid the sales tax, but I had a couple that I know I would trade off that I didn’t. But it’s no longer an option.

There still is a remnant of the ad valorem tax. If you owned a vehicle before the Repuplicans put the sales tax on private citizens to placate the dealers, you still pay an ad valorem tax every year. I have a PU that I pay a tax on every year - the dreaded "birthday tax" the Republicans were saving us from.

What's so wonderful about the vehicle sales tax, is that the county gets to collect every time the vehicle is sold until it is junked - unlike other goods, where the original sales tax is all the gets paid.

There still is a remnant of the ad valorem tax. If you owned a vehicle before the Repuplicans put the sales tax on private citizens to placate the dealers, you still pay an ad valorem tax every year. I have a PU that I pay a tax on every year - the dreaded "birthday tax" the Republicans were saving us from.

What's so wonderful about the vehicle sales tax, is that the county gets to collect every time the vehicle is sold until it is junked - unlike other goods, where the original sales tax is all the gets paid.

Ad valorem tax is tyranny, period. Over the lifetime of a long-lived vehicle those bastards will collect much more than sales tax. Government NEVER does anything to help you. Ronald Reagan told us so...

Yup, I may not have been clear but that’s what I was saying earlier.

I inherited a vehicle and had to pay sales tax. Don't you just love it when Republican governor and legislature is working for the people.

Fix it for you.
Ad valorem tax is tyranny, period. Over the lifetime of a long-lived vehicle those bastards will collect much more than sales tax. Government NEVER does anything to help you. Ronald Reagan told us so...

I have to go down tomorrow and pay $425 dollars sales tax on a 13 yr. old vehicle. I wish someone could guarantee
I would live long enough to pay that off as ad valorem tax, plus the next poor soul will have to pay more tax to own it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom