• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Private Car Sellers that are actually Sleezy Dealers here on the ODT

Status
Not open for further replies.
That first car for your kid is a challenge indeed. You want a tank to protect them at a cheap enough price that it doesn’t break you financially with the bumps and bruises they seem to bring home with them. You want it to be fast enough to get out of the way of other idiot drivers but not fast enough to get into trouble. Thinking back...I’m glad I don’t have anymore 16 year olds.
Well said my friend. Well said indeed......

I guess the first question should be "Is the title in your name" .

Followed by "Are you a dealer?"

I wonder how they're getting around charging sales tax on the sale. IF they're a dealer they somehow have to work that in the price. OR you'll get a call in 6 months from the GA DOR telling YOU that YOU owe it to them. If the car title is in any way related to a business, sales tax HAS to be paid.

I wonder how they're getting around charging sales tax on the sale. IF they're a dealer they somehow have to work that in the price. OR you'll get a call in 6 months from the GA DOR telling YOU that YOU owe it to them. If the car title is in any way related to a business, sales tax HAS to be paid.
You would think but we have to pay the taxes to DMV when you register a private sale vehicle. That is how they get away with it.

You would think but we have to pay the taxes to DMV when you register a private sale vehicle. That is how they get away with it.

I bought a van from my brother in law who'd sold it to me privately but he'd bought it with his plumbing company and it was titled to that business. I had the DoR on my butt 6 months later telling me I owed them the sales tax. Had it been two individuals and a non-business title, there is no sales tax.

I bought a van from my brother in law who'd sold it to me privately but he'd bought it with his plumbing company and it was titled to that business. I had the DoR on my butt 6 months later telling me I owed them the sales tax. Had it been two individuals and a non-business title, there is no sales tax.
I believe he is referring to Georgia’s TAVT tax. If you buy from a private seller, you pay the TAVT when you go down and register the vehicle in your name and get the tag transferred. They won’t forget to ask for it.

You didnt have to pay the ad valorem tax when you registered the vehicle to your name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom