• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Primers splitting during resize/deprime

Freshly Minted Georgian!

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
304   0
Reaction score
Been running more volume lately and am encountering 3-4 cases per thousand where the bottom of the primer cup splits off leaving the walls of the primer cup in the pocket. I used to just throw them in the scrap brass bin because it’s time consuming to get the cup remnants pried out. That said, my inherent stubbornness is getting the best of me and I’ve been taking the few extra minutes to cut out most of the cup wall with a reamer, then finally prying out the tiny ring that’s left with a sharp awl.

this seems to occur more on older brass where there is possibly some chemical corrosion of the primer cup, coupled with a heavy pocket crimp.

anyone else encounter this? Do you just trash them and move on or do you try to salvage them? Any better ways to get those cup walls removed?

Been reloading since 1974 and have never seen this issue. Are these previously reloaded or probably once fired military cases?

I wouldn’t spend any time messing with them - if commonly available brass just throw them out. Expensive or hard to find brass I would spend the time to get the old primer completely out.

Happens to me when I wet tumble pistol cases with spent primers in. About one per thousand will "bond" with the case and the top of the cup is pushed out during sizing/decapping on the 1050. I can feel the difference when swaging at station two. I remove them and toss.

I have only seen it once. I bought a large amount of nickle Speer 9mm brass out of New York. 4 or 5 per hundred would leave a ring of primer in the case head. I was using a 650 at the time and did not have a swage station so I just tossed them. I do not know if a swage would fix the pocket. A swage would probably just crush the ring in the bottom of the pocket and cover the flash hole.

Been running more volume lately and am encountering 3-4 cases per thousand where the bottom of the primer cup splits off leaving the walls of the primer cup in the pocket. I used to just throw them in the scrap brass bin because it’s time consuming to get the cup remnants pried out. That said, my inherent stubbornness is getting the best of me and I’ve been taking the few extra minutes to cut out most of the cup wall with a reamer, then finally prying out the tiny ring that’s left with a sharp awl.

this seems to occur more on older brass where there is possibly some chemical corrosion of the primer cup, coupled with a heavy pocket crimp.

anyone else encounter this? Do you just trash them and move on or do you try to salvage them? Any better ways to get those cup walls removed?
Any thing that isn’t right about the brass, I just put it in my scrap brass and move on

Back
Top Bottom