• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Primer issue Dillon 650

Every bit of the brassi have had this problem with is marked 9X19 on top, L on one side of the primer and Y on the other and 93 at the bottom. I am guessing all Military brass. I am going to clear all of the brass out of the hopper, reload with WWB and try again.

Quick google search it sounds like old Chinese Norinco brass that was made for civilian market and imported early 90s before the import ban. Doesn’t seem like it should have a military crimp, but could be weird spec. I’m not a brass historian nor did I stay at a holiday inn express last night.

The comments about the crimped primer pocket is most likely the culprit!! If you are loading range pickup brass you will eventually come across some NATO cases that will have a crimped in primer and if you do not roll out the crimp you will have high primer seating occasionally. Ive even had a few that would hang up on one edge of crimp and would seat the primer “sideways” Or look like a cat eye when viewed from the base of brass!

Lots of good advice here! I have had a Dillon XL650 since 1992. I learned early on about primer crimps --there was very little information available then with no swagging tools. We removed the crimp by hand using a hand cutter tool and it took forever of course. Another thing I learned, and this is my way only and is good for rifle or pistol. All others can do it their way: I do a basic cleaning on my brass to remove grit. I then size, deprime and remove crimps (with a swagger if needed). I use a toolhead with ONLY a sizing die in place. I then wet clean & polish my brass to a high-shine. I then check each and every one in a proper gun barrel or case gauge and for any case issues before priming. I then PRIME each case (simply remove your tool head from your press). That way IF I run into any crimp-issues, I can stop and handle them without any powder or bullets in the way. I save these primed cases to when I am reloading... yes, I have primed cases from a few minutes ago to many years and have NEVER had an issue with cases being primed in advance. When it comes time to reload, I use a toolhead with all dies in place EXCEPT a sizing die... remember, they have already been sized & deprimed and PRIMED. I drop them into my casefeeder and load away. This is just my way and I realize it takes extra steps.... however I load for pleasure and love it! Always think: Quality vs quantity when reloading... and make them the best you can make them! Love my Dillon reloaders!

Back
Top Bottom