• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Primer availability

huskergbfan

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
19   0
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wondering, but I have since relocated to Iowa and wondering what the primer situation is in the South. About 4-6 months ago I could find them sporadically, but for the last month or so I cant find any trace of primers in the big box stores and online for the most part. Within the last 2 years I have enjoyed shooting a new cartridge in the 44 rem mag and have all the equipment to reload for it except large pistol primers and I cannot find them anywhere. Has anyone had any luck with online retailers in getting primers? Midway will notify me but everytime I have gotten to it, they have been sold out. The only big chains up here are scheels, cabelas/bass pro shops, and sportmans warehouse. Just wondering how things are down in Georgia. Are you guys back to no primers available as well?

Hey all,

Just wondering, but I have since relocated to Iowa and wondering what the primer situation is in the South. About 4-6 months ago I could find them sporadically, but for the last month or so I cant find any trace of primers in the big box stores and online for the most part. Within the last 2 years I have enjoyed shooting a new cartridge in the 44 rem mag and have all the equipment to reload for it except large pistol primers and I cannot find them anywhere. Has anyone had any luck with online retailers in getting primers? Midway will notify me but everytime I have gotten to it, they have been sold out. The only big chains up here are scheels, cabelas/bass pro shops, and sportmans warehouse. Just wondering how things are down in Georgia. Are you guys back to no primers available as well?
Bass Pro's in Canada are fully stocked with every primer known to man, but they won't ship out of country even between stores, most common stores around here (midway, midsouth, powder valley) will get them briefly but go away before you can order them as you have already seen.

Hey all,

I’ve always thought that the gun control issue would be attacked by taxing or litigating ammo companies out of business and on the reloaded side by making primers non-available. Logic tells me the current situation is driven somewhat by supply and demand but I would think if just that, it would be normalizing by now. This may be the new normal which at some point will become the good old days.

I’ve always thought that the gun control issue would be attacked by taxing or litigating ammo companies out of business and on the reloaded side by making primers non-available. Logic tells me the current situation is driven somewhat by supply and demand but I would think if just that, it would be normalizing by now. This may be the new normal which at some point will become the good old days.

Always had the same thought. When they can't win in the courts they will just price us out or create an unavailable situation. Even if it is just the supply chain I don't see our current government not getting the light bulb over their heads and allowing a good crisis to go to waste.

Another thing I worry about is with all the new tech coming out regarding firearms, ammunition and body armor that will simply outclass anything available today I think we will face being priced out of a level playing field to a large degree. There aren't going to many among us that will be able to afford firearms made with graphene reinforced steel and newer ammo will be designed with those pressure tolerances in mind. I might be wrong about this. Prices may come down with mass production. But, I can see government using prices to limit an effective, level playing field.

Thats very interesting that Canada has them available. Makes one wonder how available they are in a place like California and NY given our current political climate, if they are even allowed there and aren't considered "ghost bullets." For the better part of two years, I have wondered if this is how the gun industry gets regulated as well, the most concerning part of that argument is that it started under 45. At the same time this shortage is also creating a craze, whereby any reloader who finds primers is going to take out a second mortgage to buy a couple hundred. Hope this whole thing is as benign as all of the components are going into select factory ammunition and there just isn't any leftover; however, as the months go by, I become more skeptical.

Thats very interesting that Canada has them available. Makes one wonder how available they are in a place like California and NY given our current political climate, if they are even allowed there and aren't considered "ghost bullets." For the better part of two years, I have wondered if this is how the gun industry gets regulated as well, the most concerning part of that argument is that it started under 45. At the same time this shortage is also creating a craze, whereby any reloader who finds primers is going to take out a second mortgage to buy a couple hundred. Hope this whole thing is as benign as all of the components are going into select factory ammunition and there just isn't any leftover; however, as the months go by, I become more skeptical.
This has been the ebb and flow of guns and components for the last 3 decades. The only reason that components did not come back to almost 100% under 45 is because he only did one term.

To the point of gun regulation, he made a couple concessions that I do not approve. I.E. bumpstock ban is one. I probably am about to take the unpopular stance on here......but .......I personally do not think that anyone NEEDS something in the order of 50 BMG or similar......however.......because I do not support the way that .Gov likes to randomly change their mind and attempt to enforce rules selectively against Citizens vs politicians.......I believe that a person ABSOLUTELY has a right to own a 50 BMG or the like, if they choose and do so legally.

I lucked into some CCI SPP from Midway a couple months back.

This past weekend, I saw a few boxes of CCI SRP at Big Woods.

I also lucked into a box of CCI LPMP and Remington LPP at Cherokee this past weekend.

Overall status for primers around N. Ga is unobtainium though. Right place at the right time will score you a random box here and there.

Back
Top Bottom