• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"Practicing a Bug In"

Tikker

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
108   0
Reaction score
This idea came from the recent thread that was resurrected "Practicing a bug out".

Given that people are either working from home or don't plan to bug out in bad times, the idea to bug in could actually bring up issues that were never thought of before.

Easiest method would be to turn off both the main breaker and water supply to the house & see how things go over a 24 hour time period. If you have a generator & would rather save your fuel, leave the refrigerator breaker on along with another that powers a few outlets. This way you can power your electronics & save your food from spoiling during the practice run.

Only thing holding me back from giving this a try is my wife & two young kids. My windows aren't screened so any biting/stinging bugs would torment us along with the heat.

This idea came from the recent thread that was resurrected "Practicing a bug out".

Given that people are either working from home or don't plan to bug out in bad times, the idea to bug in could actually bring up issues that were never thought of before.

Easiest method would be to turn off both the main breaker and water supply to the house & see how things go over a 24 hour time period. If you have a generator & would rather save your fuel, leave the refrigerator breaker on along with another that powers a few outlets. This way you can power your electronics & save your food from spoiling during the practice run.

Only thing holding me back from giving this a try is my wife & two young kids. My windows aren't screened so any biting/stinging bugs would torment us along with the heat.

We call that “Camping in the house!”
We leave the power on for the fridge and the freezer, everything else goes dark.
We fire up the Aladdin lamps and usually break out a board game.
It’s a real pleasure to have the house so quiet....
If it’s wintertime we start a fire.

I get to “bug in” several times during the winter (ice or snow storms) or after a hurricane/tropical storm blows through up here when the power goes out for a few days. I live at the end of the county up on a mountain with no cell service and it’s common to go 3-4 days without power as we are the end of the line for power crews. I have several generators including a whole house 11k but use them only to keep the refrigerators/freezers going and run the well pump. I have several springs and two spring fed creeks that run year round if I need more water.

I can heat the house with the fire place and have propane wall heaters in each bedroom so I can conserve and only heat a room if needed. If all else fails I can bug out to a log cabin I built down on a creek with wood burning stove and several bunks.

I’ve often played out in my mind, how would an apartment dweller, like myself bug in / out. I see it involving nearby self-storage and/or forming alliances with real property owners.
Plenty of storage under beds for food and water. Put the bed frame legs on stands (they sell them on Amazon) and use plastic tubs to keep it organized. Near by Storage building would be good if you can get to and from without being robbed.

better yet, leave the door closed to get as much of the trapped cool, as ya can. Then use the yank and snatch method to get another day, been there done this,
We keep plastic water jugs in the freezer if there is any empty space which helps keep the food cold by filling dead space. They also provide water when they thaw.

I’ve often played out in my mind, how would an apartment dweller, like myself bug in / out. I see it involving nearby self-storage and/or forming alliances with real property owners.

I’m also in an apartment at the moment. It’s definitely best to bring in groceries and supplies at night and be friendly with everyone in the complex.

I fortified my walk-in closet to double as a gun safe. This complex is old enough to have solid wood doors even on the closets. I put a keyed outdoor-quality lock on the master bedroom closet making it 3 doors to defeat before accessing. Inside the closet a Wyze Cam focused on 3 padlocked ammo cans in case maintenance (or bad-guys) comes barging in they’re going to set off alerts if I’m not there.

Half a dozen+ weapons in the same caliber. And 1000+ rounds of said caliber. Still doesn’t seem like enough. 6 weeks of water and dry rice and various beans for at least a couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom