• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Practice Proper Shot Placement...Please

For anyone who hasn’t tried it and hunts thick woods, I highly recommend breaking out the turkey gun or tacticool shotgun with 00 and slugs. Even a 20 gauge buckshot’s stopping power under 30 yards would surprise you speaking from experience.
I have never killed a deer with a shot gun but my change that this year. Do you aim base of the neck with buck shot?

I have always been a top of the shoulder or just behind guy. Ill admit Ive lost a few and I have had to look for a few. When my son started hunting, about to begin season 4 a friend suggested neck shots. I was told either you make a clean kill and it drops in its tracks or you have a clean miss. So far we have had 1 clean miss and several drop where they stood. The kid and his 243 are a tough pair that will be looking forward to putting meat in the freezer Saturday morning.

The one shot he missed he told me it was my fault. I always tell him to take the shot when ready. Then he says ready. I then tell him little more, little more, little more as he presses the trigger. Well the one time he missed I wasnt whispering a little more and he said he jerked the trigger. Love being in the woods with him its renewed my love for hunting

EBewj4nUYAA_hsF.jpg

I have shot 2 deer in the neck, both dropped and didn't even flinch. Most of them I've shot though are body shot and I don't have to track them far, or at all. On the diagram it's usually on the line of bottom of c4 and top of d4.

I've been hunting deer for over 40 yrs, and I shoot all mine right behind the shoulder (C3.5 in the above diagram) and I've never lost one. The very first kill I tried to get a follow up shot with a lever action and spooked it so it ran on pure adrenaline for almost a mile, but I tracked it and retrieved it, but more importantly I learned from it. I'm sure I've killed well over 70 and every one but the first one dropped within 20yrds of being shot, and most didn't even realize they'd been hit. Just kept grazing until they fell over. Don't spook em before or after your shot and sometimes they won't even flinch....no suffering.

I have never killed a deer with a shot gun but my change that this year. Do you aim base of the neck with buck shot?

I have always been a top of the shoulder or just behind guy. Ill admit Ive lost a few and I have had to look for a few. When my son started hunting, about to begin season 4 a friend suggested neck shots. I was told either you make a clean kill and it drops in its tracks or you have a clean miss. So far we have had 1 clean miss and several drop where they stood. The kid and his 243 are a tough pair that will be looking forward to putting meat in the freezer Saturday morning.

The one shot he missed he told me it was my fault. I always tell him to take the shot when ready. Then he says ready. I then tell him little more, little more, little more as he presses the trigger. Well the one time he missed I wasnt whispering a little more and he said he jerked the trigger. Love being in the woods with him its renewed my love for hunting
With a shotgun I’ll aim behind the shoulder. So far I’ve killed does with an old Belgium browning light 12, a mossberg 535 turkey thug 12, and Remington 870 youth 20 gauge (21” barrel). All were one shot kills and dropped them in their tracks. I just use regular old 00 but this year I’ve upgraded to some hornady Critcal defense 00 and I’ll be using my Benelli M2 tactical. Nothings wrong with a behind the shoulder shot with a rifle it just has a tendency to damage more meat than a neck shot does.

I've taken a lot of deer along the way. If I don't feel I can make the shot within a 2" group, I don't take the shot. Because things happen like that twig or blade of grass you didn't see. I almost always make a heart shot. It usually slips in and out between the ribs and barely even makes a blood spot. I've taken most of my deer with a 308. Last 10-15yrs I've used a 257wby, that way I can shoot 4" high or low out to @360yds baring the dreaded arc of trajectory. I zero most rifles 4" high at 100yds and use the duplex reticle for hold over and windage for longer shots. And I use a 375H&H for brush hunting. I've shot through trees and hit my mark. Instant blood trail and no meat loss. The 257 disintegrates the lungs and usually drops the deer where they stand.

I may have to try this placement. I normally shoot them in the armpit with a 7.62x39 round. They typically run a little; but not far without working lungs. My normal shot is 30-40 yards, so easy to pick my placement.

I shoot in the armpit with 308 Winchester Power Points. All go down within 10 yards. My normal shots are 60 to 80 yards. I have always been told a mid neck shot on a rutted up Buck was risky.

I figure a fast bullet that explodes in the neck is bound to 1. break the neck or 2. sever the wind pipe or 3. pass thru the throat filling it with blood and choking the deer to death. But man those Power Points open up fast and leave a big hole.

I shoot in the armpit with 308 Winchester Power Points. All go down within 10 yards. My normal shots are 60 to 80 yards. I have always been told a mid neck shot on a rutted up Buck was risky.

I figure a fast bullet that explodes in the neck is bound to 1. break the neck or 2. sever the wind pipe or 3. pass thru the throat filling it with blood and choking the deer to death. But man those Power Points open up fast and leave a big hole.
I used Wolf HP for years. However, picked up some Hornady SST rounds and have used them the last 2 years without any issues. They seem to be more reliable (and accurate) opening up. Of course, the deer don't survive with either round in the chest.

View attachment 3562805

I have shot 2 deer in the neck, both dropped and didn't even flinch. Most of them I've shot though are body shot and I don't have to track them far, or at all. On the diagram it's usually on the line of bottom of c4 and top of d4.
C4 on the vast majority of my kills.

Love the power points. I use 150gr for open plains and 180gr for brush

Back
Top Bottom