• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Practice Proper Shot Placement...Please

78Bronco

Default rank <4500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
I know...I know, there are plenty of discussions on here already about this but felt the need to beat the drum again. Practice proper shot placement and quit trying to overcompensate poor form by shooting a larger caliber gun and wounding deer that the rest of us would love the opportunity to humanly kill. Now, don't go getting all upset with me because I just said that as I too have a larger caliber gun (7mm Rem Mag) that I occasionally deer hunt with but anyone who knows me will also validate that 90% of the deer I have shot in the last 20 years (60 deer at the very least) have been killed with a properly placed neck shot, dropping them dead in their tracks with my 22-250. Why would I jump out there and stir the pot again and run the risk of upsetting folks, you ask? Well, I had a discussion the other day with a hunter and he tells me he refuses to shoot anything less than a 6.5CM because the deer here are "huge" (here is SE Ga, just FYI). He then rolls into a story that he shot a really nice 10 point last season with his 300WM. He tells me how it left an area covered with so much "foamy blood that it looked like a murder scene". He supposedly ended up tracking it for over 1700 yards first on foot and later with a dog and wasn't able to retrieve the deer. As I said, I occasionally shoot a 7mm Rem Mag, so I'm not against larger caliber guns and I'm not saying everyone should only shoot deer in the neck (although I do still do that, even when shooting my 7mag). I'm just asking that you be realistic in your caliber choice and extremely particular in your shot placement. Far too many times I hear of folks only sighting in their deer rifle but not truly practicing with it throughout the year. These are two totally different things. It's great to know your gun can hit your target and your scope is "dialed in", but truly practicing with your firearm of choice is crucial in being accurate and ensuing you are comfortable with your gun and with your skills so you can humanely drop an animal when the time comes as well as knowing what your limitations are and when it's best to let an animal walk. For example, I have let some good deer walk in the past because I didn't feel I could get off a humane neck shot with my 22-250. Sure, it sucks when it happens and I coulda tried for a body shot but I'm not wounding the animal and chasing it through the woods for hours while it suffers. When you are considering the caliber of your hunting rifle, don't just think a larger caliber is going to kill better because it shoots a larger grain bullet. A wounded deer from a poor placed shot is still a suffering animal that you may not harvest, doesn't matter what size/grain bullet caused the damage. Also remember, that larger caliber gun is going to deliver much more felt recoil to the shooter than a mid to smaller caliber gun and most folks will be more accurate and lethal with a gun of a lesser caliber simply because it is easier control through the entire firing sequence. Sorry to bring this up again, that guy just really pissed me off and I needed to vent. Yes, my rant is very much directed at that guy and that story but between my fussing, I thought I made some decent points. LOL In the end, practice proper shot placement...practice, practice, practice and best of luck in the upcoming season. I'm excited to see pics of your kills!

Do you shoot high neck or base of neck on your shots ?

I have TC Encore 25-06 with a 26 inch barrel that I got at the end of deer season last year. I have been shooting 100 grain Remington core-lokt that are very accurate and consistent. I will hunt with it some this year and was considering neck only shots with it .

I agree completely with shot placement, how can you not. You can shoot a bazooka and if you hit the leg they mostly going to get away. I personally like the 30 caliber the best. I take many with a neck shot mostly because you don’t bloodshot a bunch of meat and they drop in their tracks. I don’t like the smaller faster caliber because of what you said, a body shot may well kill them but you may not find them. My 2 cents

Do you shoot high neck or base of neck on your shots ?

I have TC Encore 25-06 with a 26 inch barrel that I got at the end of deer season last year. I have been shooting 100 grain Remington core-lokt that are very accurate and consistent. I will hunt with it some this year and was considering neck only shots with it .

I'm usually aiming close to the mid point between shoulder and head. If they are closer I will go higher.

I may have to try this placement. I normally shoot them in the armpit with a 7.62x39 round. They typically run a little; but not far without working lungs. My normal shot is 30-40 yards, so easy to pick my placement.

Base of the neck or I don’t shoot at all when rifle hunting. I want it to die as humanely as possible so breaking the neck and severing the artery in the same shot seems to be the best way to go about doing it aside from a brain shot which I personally don’t feel comfortable taking after seeing deer missing lower jaws from offsight rifles and poor marksmanship. As a processor I promise the best way to retain all of your meat is by shooting the neck. There isn’t much meat to begin with there and on a doe you really ain’t losing anything at all.

Back
Top Bottom