• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Powder measure - Electronic Scale vs Balance Beam

RSBrown

Default rank <200 posts Supporter
Hunter
5   0
Reaction score
Still new to this "hobby", and I have been using the Hornady LnL electronic scale for my first rounds, but have read enough in these posts to make me wonder if a balance beam wouldn't be better.

At this point i am overly cautious and more than a little OCD, as I test the Hornady electronic scale before I use it, zero it, re-zero with the powder cup, measure every throw from the dispenser, get it just under the desired load and finish off with my trickler. If at any time the scale shows at 001 variance, I always re-zero.

I am not ready or planning on production loading of hundreds or thousands of rounds a month, just accurate loads, mostly for hunting. Would a good balance beam be better?

Thanks for all the terrific input so far

Trust your scale. It is a great idea to have a balance scale as a backup but your electronic scale will do fine. We can’t shoot good enough to notice a 001 difference in powder weight. Make sure to turn your fans off, keep your cell phone away from it, and trust your scale.

One thing about a rcbs 505 is it will never need batterys and its accurate. Check 5 different digital scales and you will have 3 to 4 different weights.

I have both electronic and beam scale on my bench and actively use both scales in tandem. The electronic scale (rcbs) is great for pistol loads, quick measurements like bullet weights etc.... my hunting loads and precision target loads are beam scale only (beams don't drift and every digital scale will drift at on time or another) , powder is hand loaded, OACL is checked and when I take them out to the field or the range the do what they are supposed to do ALLWAYS and with great CONSISTENCY. After all thats why you handload (not because your going to save money). I would advise a set of check weights, I too zero calibrate both scales on every session, my check weights are like gold for my piece of mind.

Electronic scales can wander and be sensitive to flourescent lights and other electromagnetic shennagigans. The best electronic scales are stupid pricey but they use a different method to weigh compared to cheaper electronic scales.

Balances are slow, hard to weight larger items and sensitive to leveling but aren't affected by electronics and require no warmup period. The old 10-10 rcbs made by ohaus used to be the cream of the crop. When tuned by Scott Parker they were accurate to measure a single grain of powder. Sadly the 10-10 is discontinued.

As far as safety is concerned, if your loads are so hot that .1 grain too much results in a kaboom you might want to re evaluate some life choices. Stick to published data and you will be fine with whatever scale you desire. My old 505 has been collecting dust since I got my chargemaster and gempro 250

Back
Top Bottom