• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Powder drop malfunction

richs

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
40   0
Reaction score
I've resisted loading the past year because of the lack of primers. I just primed 200 5.56 cases, and started reloading them. As I always do, I tested the first few cases after the powder drop in my press... every case was light on powder. So I dissected the drop (A Lee Auto Drum) and tried again. Same result. I'm about to byte the bullet and replace the thing, since it's mainly only for my 5.56/.223 loads.
Anyone have any ideas what may be wrong?

What grain? Also, are you using the cylinder for large or small loads?
I am not that familiar with the Lee setup. I know RCBS and Dillon have a different bar / cylinder for larger rifle charges.

I've used this for thousands of loads without issue, most all for 5.56/.223. It's sat idle for a long time, and I'm wondering if it just needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

OK, call it user error... there was an obstruction in the powder drop causing it to not hit full stroke. I had "modified it" with a plastic shield because my other drop tends to "leak" powder so I installed it when I set it up a long time ago, but hadn't loaded any shells... I'm also in the habit of visually checking the level in EACH shell... but since I hadn't used this configuration, none of my prior loads are questionable.

BTW, the plastic shield was made from a plastic Jim Beam bottle...

I've resisted loading the past year because of the lack of primers. I just primed 200 5.56 cases, and started reloading them. As I always do, I tested the first few cases after the powder drop in my press... every case was light on powder. So I dissected the drop (A Lee Auto Drum) and tried again. Same result. I'm about to byte the bullet and replace the thing, since it's mainly only for my 5.56/.223 loads.
Anyone have any ideas what may be wrong?
Yes. Cheap powder measure.

Back
Top Bottom