• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Post up your reviews - Favorite BBQ restaurant?

What type of BBQ is best?

• Chicken

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Pulled/chopped pork

Votes: 58 41.1%
  • Pork ribs

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Beef ribs

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • BBQ beef

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • BBQ Tacos

• I’m a vegan save the animals

• BBQ brisket

Votes: 51 36.2%

• Total voters
I went to Big'Uns for lunch. Had the Big'un sausage plate with fries and stew, my usual. Finished eating and realized I forgot to take pic. You'll have to imagine how good it looked lol.

Hoping to make it to Blairsville next week and hit up Jim's Smoking Q. I'll try to take a pic. Glad I have clients all over north GA. If you need insurance and you're near a good BBQ or meat & 3 hit me up!

Doubled up today: I got to drive up to the mountains and visit Jim’s Smokin Cue in Blairsville, and Carroll’s in Blue Ridge. All in all it was a five hour BBQ run.

I knew as soon as I pulled in to Jim’s that I had been there before. It’s pretty easy to remember, not just for the food, but also because there is a mini golf course across the street.
9B6127E0-5331-419E-8428-6C4B431536F7.jpeg
For this trip I was joined by bbq aficionado and all around good dude GAK9 GAK9 .
Jim’s was our first stop. He mentioned back on the first day of this thread that the Rib’s at this place were his favorite. He’s right. They’re fantastic. (I’ll let him tell you about the pink macaroni salad).

I got pulled pork sammich, stew, and slaw. Hey, at least I got one veggie in today.
Sides: the Cole slaw was finely chopped, heavily juiced, and a tad sweet. It is reminiscent of the slaw that you get everywhere, ever. Not bad, just not different enough to stand out. Stew was very good. Thick and rich tomato based, I’d bet lots of tomato paste. Pork, corn, not much spice but a good flavor overall. It was so good I didn’t have any left to bring home.
E0BD8DFB-6964-4C2B-844F-CBB619355FE8.jpeg D16E223F-A8A7-4CF1-B1BB-7C86F29AB805.jpeg
Sammich: brioche roll! Not just good bread, but just about the best bread I’ve had yet. It’s partially cut open and forms a great pocket into which they shove 8 oz of shredded smoky porky goodness. No pickles though. The meat is not overly seasoned. A little bit of seasoning is mixed in with the meat. It was well smoked, and served hot (not all places get meat to the table hot. It’s not hard to do).
A4BC56EF-9B58-4A53-A64E-650F44C27371.jpeg

Sauces: they offered 3, but I can’t recall what they all were. The spicy one was mildly spicier than the ‘original’ and all 3 were good. They have sauces for sale as well.

They’re open Thurs - Saturday, and a line forms early.
Jim’s was good, and worth the 90 minute drive. I’ll be back for ribs again. Maybe some putt putt, too.

Stop 2 was only 30 minutes up the road in Blue Ridge. For those of you scoring at home, that’s 13, yes a Baker’s Dozen, barbecue meals this week. I’m tapping out now. My cholesterol and gout need a break.

GAK9 GAK9 and I headed straight to Carroll’s BBQ next. On the way we passed what may be the greatest concept ever: Brasstown Pharmacy Drug & Gun. Reloads while you re-fill.
FFD4BC40-8A7A-4092-A8DF-4D9EC4858B13.jpeg

At Carroll’s once again I went for pulled pork sandwich, stew, and collards.
Order at the counter and they bring it to you. The staff is very nice, and stopped by our table to check on us no less than 3 times. Unusual for a counter service spot. Some of them in Athens even expect you to bus your own table. Not here, or a Jim’s actually. The place is spotlessly clean.

Sides: the collars were good. Rich and fatty, not over salted, but were just a bit overcooked. They sorta fell apart at the first chew. The stew was hot! Not like spicy hot, but piping hot. The usual suspects: corn, dice tomato, tomato broth, pulled pork, with chunks bits of outside meat, and this version had potatoes. It was kind of spicy. Seemed more so because it was steaming for 30 minutes. And quite good.
3F4A9B72-7565-4EC1-9D50-A308ABF42770.jpeg
Pulled Pork Sanwich: plain white bread bun. A generous serving of pulled pork. Nice deep pink smoke ring on the meat. I didn’t pick up much of a rub. Unfortunately the meat was cold. It was good, I ate it all, but would have been much better warm.

Sauces: they have several: mild & sweet, hot & spicy, GA Vinegar (whatever that means), white, and mustard. I got the mustard and the mild. Mild is sweet, a bit of hickory flavor, and thick. Actually, so is the mustard sauce. I liked the mild but didn't’ care for the mustard sauce. It was too thick for my liking and lacked the tang I want in mustard sauce.

7406F0C4-94D9-4596-A45B-143B78D31279.jpeg
21B54AA5-D29C-4C2B-9913-8B61180F985E.jpeg
They have several desserts as well that looked good. Hopefully I’ll try them on a return visit.

Wallsga, out of the 13 places you ate, what’s your top 3 must go to places to eat?

And yes, sucks to get cold food or reheated bbq. I don’t get that.
Keep in mind I only tried the pulled pork at most places. Some are better known for brisket or ribs.
In no particular order:

Socks Love BBQ, Cumming
Spiced Right Barbecue, Roswell
Tamez, Athens

Wow, WallsGa WallsGa sorry your 2nd sandwich was cold, that’s very unlike Carroll’s. My wife said hers was still warm when she finally ate it. Weird.

Definitely want to meet up again, and mix it up next time.

Wow, WallsGa WallsGa sorry your 2nd sandwich was cold, that’s very unlike Carroll’s. My wife said hers was still warm when she finally ate it. Weird.

Definitely want to meet up again, and mix it up next time.
Not your fault my man. I was too busy talking and eating the sides. And it was my second lunch of the hour. Shoulda just skipped the to skillet cookie.

Back
Top Bottom