• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Post up your reviews - Favorite BBQ restaurant?

What type of BBQ is best?

• Chicken

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Pulled/chopped pork

Votes: 58 41.1%
  • Pork ribs

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Beef ribs

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • BBQ beef

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • BBQ Tacos

• I’m a vegan save the animals

• BBQ brisket

Votes: 51 36.2%

• Total voters
I'm home sick with Covid and Strep throat. I was up in the middle of the night reading this thread, living vicariously through your travels and enjoying everything in this thread. Thanks guys for a great thread and great ideas to try down the road sometime.

Stop #2 today, Slopes BBQ in Cumming. Plan was to his Slope’s on the way home but since I was already in town I figured why not? Slope’s was easy to find. They had a bunch of things to choose from, but again, pulled pork and stew, to-go, with extra sauce. The extra sauce was complimentary (a nice touch). And the woman taking orders was very friendly. Place seemed popular, too. Mostly full before lunch.

Their stew good. A little heavy on the cumin (I think) and a little too much meat/liquid ratio, but overall quite good. Not spicy but the black pepper came through.

View attachment 3061273
The sandwich was perfectly wrapped, good size portion, with 2 dill pickles tucked onto the top (something I love from childhood: stopping at Holcomb’s BBQ on the way to UGA games, sandwiches always had pickles). The meat was freshly cooked, shredded and flavorful. They sauce the sandwich beforehand, which I don’t care for as it makes the plain white bread bun soggy very quickly). I think the sandwich would have been better if I got sauce on the side. The place has a great following and I will go back to try their ribs at some point. Actually, I’ll be in Roswell tomorrow and may try that location just for kicks.
View attachment 3061290 View attachment 3061291

FIL favorite was Holcombs in Greensboro....Its been some years since we ate there

No reports today. Did OP overdose on BBQ?
Close. Just got back from Roswell a while ago. Wallsga Jr. wanted to play with the neighbor kids after that. I’ll have an update on Heirloom BBQ and Spiced Right Rib House up by 8:00 or so. I need to go run and make a Manhattan.

I was looking forward to today. Plan was to head to Roswell to catch up with an old friend of mine and try a few BBQ spots then head to Gate City Brewing.

I originally was going to Big Uns BBQ early then ride to Roswell. I talked myself out of that because I want to do Biguns in Talking Rock then head to the Pink Pig in Elijay, ride up to Blairsville for Jim’s Smokin Cue and spend the night so I can hike the next morning. Hopefully I can pull that off this weekend.

Instead I decided to head to Heirloom BBQ on Akers Mill Rd in Sminings first then circle back to Roswell. FYI, they’re contactless to-go only. Order online, go to the little pick up area on the right and get your Q. I didnt’ know this ahead of time and I still parked, ordered, and got pork in under 15 minutes.
322B1CAD-1BC7-4C1D-BD39-56ADE7A3894C.jpeg
Just inside of the 285 overpass at Powers Ferry there isn’t much scenery:
DF74AB85-99BE-4BF4-ACBE-0220785F22A6.jpeg
But it’s convenient to Cumberland Blvd, Cobb Pkwy, 285, 75, Powers Ferry, New Northside, and a ****load of other roads. It’s easy to get in and out, though the parking lot is sorta small, so if it’s busy you have to keep circling .

As usual, got a pulled pork sammich. I panicked under pressure when I couldn’t locate stew under the drop down menu online and just picked Cole slaw instead. Sandwich comes with 1 side include. You can also get platters, ribs, wings, and by the pound.
The sandwich comes on real bread. (!!). Brioche bun that’s slightly toasted on a griddle, with house made pickles. I’ve come to love these 2 things when it comes to BBQ and probably disproportionally judge places that don’t have them.

The Cole slaw was good. Fresh, not overly watery or sauced, crisp veggies, celery seed stood out. And an 8 oz portion to-go. The meat was gooooooooooood. Flavorful. Deep pink rings of the Maillard reaction from low and slow smoke. Pulled then chopped lightly so it still had big chunks of meat. And a fair amount of crunch outside bark in the meat. Several options of sauce. Table - classic mild Sauce, was Korean influenced, as the owner is Korean. A good combo of sweet, tangy, spice, smoke. It is what Korean BBQ sauce should be.

They’re known for their ribs especially, but the pulled pork sandwich was very, very good. And they have the to-go thing down pretty good. I’ll be back
19E67785-5AC1-4EE1-B4E6-5DB1FD3AC8FC.jpeg
8549CCDC-E451-4DA9-9DDD-302E9DB5EC00.jpeg
DFA8CA63-C908-4B8A-BD67-A513A9E0BA30.jpeg
59BBF788-CBA2-47A1-988A-AD41E20E1D79.jpeg

I was looking forward to today. Plan was to head to Roswell to catch up with an old friend of mine and try a few BBQ spots then head to Gate City Brewing.

I originally was going to Big Uns BBQ early then ride to Roswell. I talked myself out of that because I want to do Biguns in Talking Rock then head to the Pink Pig in Elijay, ride up to Blairsville for Jim’s Smokin Cue and spend the night so I can hike the next morning. Hopefully I can pull that off this weekend.

Instead I decided to head to Heirloom BBQ on Akers Mill Rd in Sminings first then circle back to Roswell. FYI, they’re contactless to-go only. Order online, go to the little pick up area on the right and get your Q. I didnt’ know this ahead of time and I still parked, ordered, and got pork in under 15 minutes.
View attachment 3063849
Just inside of the 285 overpass at Powers Ferry there isn’t much scenery:
View attachment 3063859
But it’s convenient to Cumberland Blvd, Cobb Pkwy, 285, 75, Powers Ferry, New Northside, and a ****load of other roads. It’s easy to get in and out, though the parking lot is sorta small, so if it’s busy you have to keep circling .

As usual, got a pulled pork sammich. I panicked under pressure when I couldn’t locate stew under the drop down menu online and just picked Cole slaw instead. Sandwich comes with 1 side include. You can also get platters, ribs, wings, and by the pound.
The sandwich comes on real bread. (!!). Brioche bun that’s slightly toasted on a griddle, with house made pickles. I’ve come to love these 2 things when it comes to BBQ and probably disproportionally judge places that don’t have them.

The Cole slaw was good. Fresh, not overly watery or sauced, crisp veggies, celery seed stood out. And an 8 oz portion to-go. The meat was gooooooooooood. Flavorful. Deep pink rings of the Maillard reaction from low and slow smoke. Pulled then chopped lightly so it still had big chunks of meat. And a fair amount of crunch outside bark in the meat. Several options of sauce. Table - classic mild Sauce, was Korean influenced, as the owner is Korean. A good combo of sweet, tangy, spice, smoke. It is what Korean BBQ sauce should be.

They’re known for their ribs especially, but the pulled pork sandwich was very, very good. And they have the to-go thing down pretty good. I’ll be back
View attachment 3063924
View attachment 3063927
View attachment 3063925
View attachment 3063928

That's an easy walk from the Cochran Shoals/Powers Island entrances for the Chattahoochee River Recreation Area. Rottenwood Creek Trailhead isn't too far either.

Back
Top Bottom