• Chevy Camaro

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Dodge Challenger

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • My Supra is better and all others

Votes: 11 11.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Built cars are fantastic, but hard to compare. We remember muscle and pony cars from the 60s and early 70s with fondness, but the reality is that formal tests from the time show the fastest cars running 13 seconds quarter mile times. Very fast for the time, but a new Mustang ecoboost 4 cylinder can run a 13.5, and a stock GT is around 12.5.
I remember taking my youngest girl to Calhoun (Paradise Drag Strip) a couple years ago and none of the new stuff could keep up with some of them hardcore wrenchers up there. That is a 1/8 mile track and I'm sure some of the old cars had new stuff in'em but I know some didn't

1969_oldsmobile_442-pic-6240919351161832228-640x480.jpeg
Had a 442 30 years ago

I remember taking my youngest girl to Calhoun (Paradise Drag Strip) a couple years ago and none of the new stuff could keep up with some of them hardcore wrenchers up there. That is a 1/8 mile track and I'm sure some of the old cars had new stuff in'em but I know some didn't
Its the cumulative effect of smaller modern upgrades that makes a big difference:

- Electronic ignition, no more points
- Modern radial tires are a huge improvement. Nobody's racing with 6" wide polyglass 70s.
- Modern carbs are much better
- I rarely see anyone racing without headers

A friend of mine used to run his hemi Belvedere in a stock racing series where stock carb, tires, everything was required. It was fun to watch, but none of the cars were blazing fast. Most were well tuned and a few were probably cheating with polished heads, hotter cams, other stuff you could hide.

Back
Top Bottom