• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Please recommend a dog for waterfowl!

I will ask him. I need to make a correction his dogs are not German Shorthaired pointers they are German Wirehaired Pointers. I would think a lot of it has to do with the training he gives the dogs.
Training to a point, but for hunting training is more about controlling and directing the drive the dog already has.

Lab or Chesapeake Bay Retriever, I personally choose Chesapeake Bay's, but they are not for every one, and beware not every retriever trainer that you might send your dog to can handle or train Chesapeake's, Labs are push button you can follow a book and turn out a decent lab, Chessies are a little different. For me personally they are the perfect retriever, they are loyal to the family and owner, wary of strangers, most can be trained in aggression (guard dog duty) but beware some of them aren't the most friendly to your hunting buddy in a close blind...lol. The last Chesapeake I had would fetch everything in any conditions to include breaking ice to get to the bird, it would guard the house and family to include doing a good bit of bite/sleeve work, and was very calm and easy going in the home.

His one quirk that was funny and annoying at the same time is he was very reluctant and sometimes refused to fetch my hunting Buddys ducks...lol....It cracked me up all the time but it was a bit of a pain at times.

His one quirk that was funny and annoying at the same time is he was very reluctant and sometimes refused to fetch my hunting Buddys ducks...lol....It cracked me up all the time but it was a bit of a pain at times.

When my current Lab was a year old, I took him dove hunting. By the end of the second day, he was retrieving everything on the field, and I mean everything. If you shot one and did not get to it before the dog, he brought it to my cooler.

It was funny as all get out!

Back
Top Bottom