• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Please recommend a dog for waterfowl!

borvix

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
117   0
Reaction score
Hi guys, this question only to folks who has actual experience with hunting Canada geese. I intend to join the tribe and would consider a dog dedicated to the retrieval job. I’m super responsible dog owner, can you recommend smaller sized geese retriever that would be strong enough for the job and preferably very driven.

kind regards

My friend uses German Wirehaired pointers for bird hunting. He has used the same breeder for 20+ years and the dogs are from the same bloodline. Good natured and love to do their job.
IMG_20181103_085028722.jpg

Edit: German Wirehaired pointers not German Shorthaired pointers as I previously stated.

My friend uses German short hair pointers for bird hunting. He has used the same breeder for 20+ years and the dogs are from the same bloodline. Good natured and love to do their job.
View attachment 3190604
The OP isn't looking for an upland dog. German Shorthairs aren't the best choice for swimming in cold water.

A good retriever (not pointing) breed is what you're looking for. You won't get too many chances to point canadian geese.

Lab or Chessie. Canadas are BIG birds, and it you ever get into Swans, you will want a big, long legged Lab.

You can get by with a Boykin Spaniel for ducks, but not geese.

The OP isn't looking for an upland dog. German Shorthairs aren't the best choice for swimming in cold water.

A good retriever (not pointing) breed is what you're looking for. You won't get too many chances to point canadian geese.

The dogs hunt on land and in water from Wisconsin to the Dakota's and down to Texas everything from geese to pheasants. Cold water is not a problem.

The dogs hunt on land and in water from Wisconsin to the Dakota's and down to Texas everything from geese to pheasants. Cold water is not a problem.
But there are better breeds (retrievers) for the job of retrieving, and they have undercoats and are stronger swimmers that German Shorthairs. It's almost like they were bred for it. Growing up where it gets properly cold, you would have been looked at like a yahoo if you sent your pointer into the water to retrieve geese.

But there are better breeds (retrievers) for the job of retrieving, and they have undercoats and are stronger swimmers that German Shorthairs. It's almost like they were bred for it. Growing up where it gets properly cold, you would have been looked at like a yahoo if you sent your pointer into the water to retrieve geese.

He lives in northern Illinois at the Wisconson border, the breeder is in Wisconsin. Again cold weather, water, and geese are not problem.

Hi guys, this question only to folks who has actual experience with hunting Canada geese. I intend to join the tribe and would consider a dog dedicated to the retrieval job. I’m super responsible dog owner, can you recommend smaller sized geese retriever that would be strong enough for the job and preferably very driven.

kind regards
Go to any golf course,you don't need a dog at all.Just take a loaf of bread and a hammer.

Back
Top Bottom